Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water conditioner

kiwi axolotls

Reaction score
got recommended to use fluval water conditioner as my nitrate was high in both my tanks. anyone ever used it?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
got recommended to use fluval water conditioner as my nitrate was high in both my tanks. anyone ever used it?
If your nitrates are high, you should be doing water changes to lower it. Adding chemicals to counter high waste levels in a slippery slope. The only water conditioner I recommend for use with axolotls is Seachem Prime.

kiwi axolotls

Reaction score
If your nitrates are high, you should be doing water changes to lower it. Adding chemicals to counter high waste levels in a slippery slope. The only water conditioner I recommend for use with axolotls is Seachem Prime.
yh i do normally use that one and doing weekly water changes, i’ve got to go back next week and get tested again. i think both of them are going through a bacterial bloom, ones a brand new tank and the other one had to be completely emptied as i was moving the tank, so possibly could be that?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
yh i do normally use that one and doing weekly water changes, i’ve got to go back next week and get tested again. i think both of them are going through a bacterial bloom, ones a brand new tank and the other one had to be completely emptied as i was moving the tank, so possibly could be that?
What makes you think you have a bacteria bloom?
when you say "brand new", how old is the tank?
What were your actual water parameter test results?

Normally in a new tank, or a tank that has been emptied and the filter allowed to dry out at all, I would expect your ammonia to be high, not your nitrates.

kiwi axolotls

Reaction score
What makes you think you have a bacteria bloom?
when you say "brand new", how old is the tank?
What were your actual water parameter test results?

Normally in a new tank, or a tank that has been emptied and the filter allowed to dry out at all, I would expect your ammonia to be high, not your nitrates.
about three weeks old, it’s very cloudy. they never gave me them just said my nitrate is high and to come back in a couple of weeks. i’m hoping to get my own testing kit soon

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
about three weeks old, it’s very cloudy. they never gave me them just said my nitrate is high and to come back in a couple of weeks. i’m hoping to get my own testing kit soon
Both high ammonia and bacteria blooms can cause cloudy water. regardless of which chemical is high though, you should just be doing water changes to compensate for it. not adding more chemicals. Do 30% changes every day for 3 changes and that should help bring it down. I would highly recommend you get your own liquid test kit asap. In any new tank, you should be testing your levels (especially ammonia) at least twice a week.

JM29

Reaction score
Never used any water conditioner.
Never had problems.
None of my friends maintaining axolotls or other caudates use them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1