Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water depth

M

mario

hey i'm housing three bombina orientalis and i wonder is my water depth is ok or should i lower it down. i already had an accident with one of my previous toads; the water is 7 inches deep with many plants to hold on but about a week ago one of the males drowned a female during amplexus, the thing with that is that the male is huge and the female was small, he was probably twice as big. any way i dont see another problem they enjoy the water. my tank is divided 50% water and 50% land. should i lower the water or leave it as is

thanks.

pollywog

Reaction score
Personally I would lower the water level, there is no need for the water to be so deep, I keep my orientalis in just 1" of water so they can rest with their feet on the floor and their eyes and nostrils out of the water and they breed several times a year in this depth. I find that with over 2" of water the toads tend to spend more time on land.

colin

Reaction score
Likewise, the young toads i have can rest in the water with their feet on the bottom and noses above water

M

mario

sorry for the late response. thank you Andrew and Colin , yea i lowered the water they seem happy. thanks for your quick comments
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1