Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water dog and tiger salamender

enzopc

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a problem

I recently purchased a larva of the tiger, but he was attacked by a fish that pulled off the toes and made ​​a circle on the abdomen, I immediately removed the fish and left him alone in the aquarium now.
the water is clean and good filtration. temperature 22 °C

heal you think? fingers grow back?

Attachments

• 20131130_165815.jpg
    20131130_165815.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 47,125

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of fish?

Yes, I think it will heal, provided that it doesn't get infected.

enzopc

Reaction score
a puffer fish! I had put a divider, but collapsed in the night,fortunately the morning, I found that only the toes and bite on the abdomen, the whole rest.

Now I put a little salt in the water to prevent bacterial infenzione, and I'm also using the peat that prevents fungus

How long does it take to regrow fingers?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long does it take to regrow fingers?
The wound needs to heal before re growth occurs. Damaged tissue will drop off, hopefully leaving a uninfected stump, or stumps if it's just fingers. Re growth normally takes place over a couple of months.

enzopc

Reaction score
well, my larva has resumed eating and enjoying health, I hope everything goes well.
but I have another problem with my recent tiger salamander, the second day that I ate a cricket, but now a week that does not touch the food, I tried crickets, earthworms and snails without shells but nothing, her all day in his den with his head turned away. I thought maybe I should settle in and that winter temperatures have dropped their metabolism, but being my first esprienza'm a little worried ...

size of sal=16/18 cm
temperature= 16 °C

Attachments

• 20131202_175239[1].jpg
    20131202_175239[1].jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 5,104

enzopc

Reaction score
finally my larva is metamorphosing, ate very first time two days that does not touch the food, I think it is normal? when I switch to the terrestrial phase of construction? I worry that she stopped eating?

Attachments

• 20140101_124002.jpg
    20140101_124002.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 8,120

Scorpion

Reaction score
She doesn't look skinny. I wouldn't worry about her not eating. It's most likely because she's going through metamorphosis. It looks like she's ready for her terrestrial setup. She looks like she's trying to stay out of the water. Just keep a water dish in her terrestrial setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1