Water height?

H

hayley-jane

Hi,

Someone just reminded me to ask about this...

What height of water in their tanks do the axies like?

A guy at an aquarium place once told me that the height of water should be the same as the length of the axie in there. This is apparently because they want to be near the surface to get oxygen and if its too high they get stressed and die.

But on a different occasion at this aquarium place another guy said it can be as high as you want it and the axies don't care?

Any ideas on this?

Hayley - as long as the water completely covers them they are ok. But you do not have to keep shallow water in your aquarium.

I have always kept my aquariums full to the top. I think it looks better and I like watching them swim.

If you do keep your tank full to the top or near the top you must have a good lid that covers the top completely so the axolotls can not jump out.

well i think it should be no lower than 15cm.but the more water you have in their tank, the more water they have to swim around in.

Thanks
happy.gif

Also the more water you have the easier it is to keep the water quality good

Thanks Nathan, I didn't know that.

Is it safe just to fill it up to the top now then?

Or should the new water be cycled or something too?

Just fill it and add some de-chlorinator to the quantity you add.

I keep my tanks water to the top as well. They seem to enjoy it a lot more than being in the shallow (they were kept in shallower plastic tubs before).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back