Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water parameters

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts.
I have recently purchased an aquarium water testing kit as my waxy was looking a little off and I have thread algae growing in my tank. My water parameters are as such:
pH: 7.2
Ammonia:0.1 mg/L
Nitrite:<.1 mg./L
Nitrate: 20 mg/l
Water Temp is 19.5 celsius or 67 fahrenheit
I am about to do a water change.
Also, my axolotl's toes look a bit off. I will post a photo underneath
IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg
I am also looking for help with my thread algae issue. Currently, I have feeder guppies in there for food and to try to clean up the thread algae. I also have an apple snail. Any tips would be great.
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2380.jpg
Anonymous Axolol

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Thread(or hair) algae can and will grow in hard/alkaline water, (anything >7.0ph), with a prominent nitrogen source. If you can keep your nitrates <20 and ammonia/nitrite pretty much at zero it should die off over time. Removing it speeds up the process. Tannins, (tannic acid-brown pigment from decomposing hardwoods and leaves such as driftwood, indian almond/oak and such) or humins, (humic acid- another brown pigment but from peat products), can help to kill off and prevent hair algae. The downside of tannic/humic acid with axolotls that it tends to lower ph slightly as does all decomposing matter. Unfortunately snails and fish (except for a few exotic species not suitable with axolotls, and a couple shrimp species like amano shrimp) cannot eat hair algae. It has calcium based structures in its make up that are the equivalent to eating crystalline shards of glass.

The toe problem I would guess is from your sand. Most black sand is volcanic (silica) glass and if you look at it with some magnification you'd see that it is very jagged and sharp. Over time it can irritate soft tissues, some individual animals can tolerate it, some cant. Kind of like walking on sand paper all day. If you can get a close up pic of the sand I could tell you with more certainty than a guess.

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy response. Just to clarify, is it possible to keep amano shrimp with my axolotl? I have CaribSea Tahitian Moon sand as a substrate. I have heard that some people it is jagged where as to some it is fine. I will verify that tomorrow.

anonymousaxolol

Reaction score
I checked my Nitrates this morning after having done a 30% water change and my results showed that my Nitrates rose to 50mg/L. I believe i made an error but are these results normal?
Thanks,
Anonymous Axolol

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Nitrates naturally rise over time, its a part of the nitrogen cycle and is whats feeding the algae, along with phosphate. Water changes are the best remedy.

Amano shrimp would do no harm to your axolotls but will likely end up as expensive feeders.

Tahitian moon sand has fine grains, but sharply edged. Thats why I said some animals can have problems. Cant say my hands are as sensitive as an axolotls skin, thats why I dont go solely by what I feel. Some do fine on it, some dont. I've used it and still do with mixed results with salamanders/newts. Animals, even those of the same species, are individuals just like we are. I dont have a problem walking around all day on gravel but my wife does, same basic principal. Chemically its inert and doesnt affect water chemistry. If you look at it under magnification it has sharp edges but isnt abrasive like calcium based sands. Glass is silica so they have similar physical properties. I've noticed personally there can be alot of variation in the same brand/variety of substrate from bag to bag, same can be said for playground/filter sand. I personally put my sand in a rock tumbler for a few days then rinse before use to try and wear down sharp edges but not everyones willing to go that extra mile. I like the black sand so I think its worth the piece of mind. Never have had a problem once its tumbled.

Thats my 2 cents! Enjoy!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1