Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water temp

F

fiona

perhaps this is a stupid ? but how do you keep the newts tank water cool enough for them ? im 5 days into my life as a newt owner and know little. obviously i will have to change my lighting system but is it as simple as placing a fan infront of the tank or adding refridgerated, de-chlorinated h20 to the tank???????????

thanks in advance
happy.gif

Fiona

S

sarah

You can take a bottle of spring water and put it in the fridge and set it up so that it drips into the tank. Also, one thing I do in smaller tanks (like 10 gallons) is buy those plastic "reusable" ice cubes and drop a couple in if the temp goes up. I keep them in a ziplock so that they don't touch my regular ice-cubes, and the water in them doesn't actually get into the tank at all. I generally try to keep them spread out around the tank. One way or the other, best luck to you!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fiona, by far the best solution is to keep the newts in a cool room, either a basement or a room with extra-cold air conditioning. I know one person that ran an air duct from their AC outlet to the side of their tank, keeping the tank always cooler than the room. But if your house is constantly over 80F, it's just not feasible to keep newts (except a few species that are more temp tolerant).

You can make several adjustments that will reduce the temperature a degree or two, for example, using a screen top instead of a hood, or moving the tank to floor level instead of higher up, or reducing the use of electrical appliances (lights and filters). And there are other adjustments that will lower the temp, but only temporarily. I put frozen bottles into my tanks every other evening during the hottest weather. For most of the tanks, this keeps them under 72F all night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1