Question: Wax melt/candle in same room as axolotl tank?

PepsiAxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I need some help.

I'm moving my 100l tank (about 26 US gal) to a new room and I just noticed my mother has put wax melt in the room right next to the tank.

The room is about 6ftx6ft big (its the smallest room in the house) and there was no ventilation (No AC, windows and doors were closed) The wax melt is relatively large with a dish about 3 inches in width, it is eletronic so no smoke. I don't know what brand of wax was used, but it was a citrus scented soy wax, and it was on for presumably a few hours at least (potientally even a full day) The moment I noticed I moved the melt to another room and opened the door and windows. Axolotl was thankfully tubbed in seperate room on the other side of the house the whole time.

I don't think levels will matter for this query but Ammonias at 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate just shy of 5.0ppm. I'm waiting for cycle confirmation.

I'm asking wether I'd have to scrap the cycle completely and clean out the tank or wether I'm okay to continue as is?

you might not have to scrap the cycle but it might be an idea to do a 50% water charge, aromatics can be harmful when used around an aquarium especially when using an air pump as the trace chemicals can get into the water, this also means being careful when using cleaners etc..

I think it would be best to keep an eye on your water parameters for the next few days to see if there are any changes. If everything stays stable and your cycle continues to progress as normal, then you may not need to do a full clean. However, if you notice any spikes in ammonia or other issues, it may be necessary to do a water change and possibly restart the cycle.

In the meantime, it's great that you moved the wax melt and opened the windows to ventilate the room. That should help to minimize any potential harm to your axolotl.

If you're looking for any aquarium-related products or supplies, you should check out this website (luciarose.co.uk). They have a great selection of items and might have just what you need.

Personally, I'd say better safe than sorry. Even though the wax melt was electronic and didn't produce smoke, those citrus scents can pack a punch. Axolotls are pretty sensitive creatures, and even a hint of strong odor could stress them out. Since you've already moved the melt and aired out the room, that's a good call. As for the tank, I'd play it safe and do a water change just to be sure. Better to start fresh than risk any lingering scent messing with your cycle. Plus, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on those water parameters, especially during a move. Oh, and if you're still curious about candle stuff, I stumbled upon this site called candlelore.com that might have some useful info.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back