Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weatherproofing outdoor tanks

peter5930

Reaction score
Some ideas about how to protect outdoor tanks from extremes of heat and cold:

Make the substrate or water as deep as possible, to provide the greatest thermal mass.

(Picture is of a tank for Ambystoma opacum, thus the coconut fibre at one end for burrowing in and the clay that forms a muddy depression at the other end to give them the idea that it's a dry lake bed they can lay eggs in.)

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22467-dsc00058.jpg

Pack earth between and around tanks where possible, to increase the thermal mass and insulation. Packing the space between tanks also decreases the surface area available for heat transfer.

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22466-dsc00065.jpg

Radiant barrier foil-faced bubble insulation provides protection from the sun in the summer and helps to retain heat in the winter. Leave an air gap for ventilation if you're covering the top of the tank.

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22463-dsc00068.jpg

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22462-dsc00067.jpg

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22468-dsc00072.jpg

Polystyrene sheet provides heavy-duty insulation. It's vulnerable to UV light, so combine it with radiant barrier foil-faced bubble insulation to protect it. Fit it flush against your tanks.

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22459-dsc00070.jpg

peter5930-albums-weather-proofing-outdoor-tanks-picture22460-dsc00069.jpg

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
If you check my uploaded albums you will see that i used unsulated sheets to make an outer box to place my 3ft axie glass tank in. My 6 Adult Axies stayed in there with quite even temperatures, outside on the patio all winter in frost etc. It worked really well and will use it again each winter to protect them from the elements.
I have removed it now it is summer and placed their tank around the side of the house where it is coolest.

peter5930

Reaction score
If you check my uploaded albums you will see that i used unsulated sheets to make an outer box to place my 3ft axie glass tank in. My 6 Adult Axies stayed in there with quite even temperatures, outside on the patio all winter in frost etc. It worked really well and will use it again each winter to protect them from the elements.
I have removed it now it is summer and placed their tank around the side of the house where it is coolest.

I had a look, and I'm really impressed. You did a really neat job with your tanks, and they must be incredibly well insulated. Those PIR boards are something like 50% better at insulating than polystyrene sheet for a given thickness, and they have the aluminium foil laminated onto them on both sides for a low-emissivity surface that also doubles as a UV and rain-proof barrier.

I had a look for them online and came up with this:

Ecotherm Insulation Boards | Rigid PIR Insulation Boards

Kingspan TP10 Thermapitch TP10 Roof Insulation Boards TP10

Celotex TB4000 Insulation Board | PIR Multi Purpose Insulation Board

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1