Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird coloration of WTF

G

garrison

Actually this is a combination of two different things now that I think about it. I came home the other day and one of my white's tree frogs had a weird coloration. I know that it's normal for them to change anywhere from a brown to a light green, and he had his normal dark brown coloration except that there was a blotch of light green color on his head, as if in that area of his skin color changing pigments didn't work. It's been about two days and it hasn't gone away and I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience in WTFs or some other frog with a similar pigment mechanism(like green tree frogs)?

The other thing I noticed is that it's been a couple of days since I've last seen him shed his skin and he still seems to have a piece on his head that he can't seem to get off. I pretty sure it's not related to the previous as the skin has already been shed over one of the blotches and it didn't come off. It's been about two days and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help him, if necessary?

pollywog

Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Garrison Kline wrote on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 17:42 :</font>

" day and one of my white's tree frogs had a weird coloration. I know that it's normal for them to change anywhere from a brown to a light green, and "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I have had them show odd patches like this before but the patches have disappeared after a while, I believe he had been sleeping with another frogs foot on his head and the pigments where the foot had been stayed green.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Garrison Kline wrote on Friday, 14 January, 2005 - 17:42 :</font>

"it's been a couple of days since I've last seen him shed his skin and he still seems to have a piece on his head that he can't seem to get off."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
You can help him to remove the piece of skin by spaying him with water and very gently rubbing it off. It may be an indication that the humidity in your tank is too low.

G

garrison

Thanks, I got the skin off today, and yes, the humidity was lower than normal as I've temporarily taken a lot of the plants out because of a dead light strip. The spot seems to be going away, so would that be the frog equivalent of tanning lines
biggrin.gif
?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!