West Virginia Field Herping

Dannie88

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody!

I uploaded a few random field herping pics--most are from this year, but a few are from 2013. They are all from Kanawha and Fayette counties, and no I will not disclose exact locations. I have plenty of frog, lizard, and snake pics too but I only included salamanders since this is 'caudata.org.' Let me know if you would like to see more. Enjoy!!

Species in attached pictures:
-Gyrinophilus porphryticus
-Hemidactylium scutatum
-Desmognathus fuscus
-Notophthalmus v. viridescens
-Plethodon kentucki
-Pseudotriton r. ruber

Attachments

• 2014bigspringsal.jpg
    2014bigspringsal.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 852
  • 20140320_hemidact(0).jpg
    20140320_hemidact(0).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_desmoeggs1.jpg
    IMG_desmoeggs1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_malenewt.jpg
    IMG_malenewt.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_redeft.jpg
    IMG_redeft.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_springsal0033.jpg
    IMG_springsal0033.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 852
  • 2014073_cumberplat.jpg
    2014073_cumberplat.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 20140730_Pseudoruber.jpg
    20140730_Pseudoruber.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 427
Lovely pictures, the adult male Noto is a beauty, I didn't realize they had such high tail fins. Is that just for the breeding season, or do they look like that all year?

The noto picture was taken in late spring 2013 so it was a male in full breeding regalia. The rest of the year their tail fins are significantly less pronounced. I actually found that particular specimen feasting on mountain chorus frog eggs that they also share a vernal pool with. I was able to witness their migration this year and helped a few across the road!

Nice pics!! I especially admire the Spring Sally shot. Although I've had much more success in adjacent states like Ohio and Virginia, herping in the hills of W. Va is always a treat. Try Pocahontas and Randolph counties if you ever get over there.

I think I've been herping twice in WV? One of those times was to look for hellbenders, but we didn't find any. It's been a VERY long time since then. I used to catch salamanders growing up though.

Hello everybody!

I uploaded a few random field herping pics--most are from this year, but a few are from 2013. They are all from Kanawha and Fayette counties, and no I will not disclose exact locations. I have plenty of frog, lizard, and snake pics too but I only included salamanders since this is 'caudata.org.' Let me know if you would like to see more. Enjoy!!

Species in attached pictures:
-Gyrinophilus porphryticus
-Hemidactylium scutatum
-Desmognathus fuscus
-Notophthalmus v. viridescens
-Plethodon kentucki
-Pseudotriton r. ruber
where on earth can you just find newts like THAT!!!!

where on earth can you just find newts like THAT!!!!
Appalachian region in the U.S. is one of the most speciose and diverse areas in the world when it comes to salamanders. Checking out vernal pools in the spring deep in the woods can yield some pretty good results.

Appalachian region in the U.S. is one of the most speciose and diverse areas in the world when it comes to salamanders. Checking out vernal pools in the spring deep in the woods can yield some pretty good results.
wow!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back