Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What ambystoma?

M

magaly

hi my name is Magaly, i've those ambystomas, but i don't know if it's mexicanum, tigrinum, californiense, mavortium, can you help me?
they're metamorphosed, so i think that they're not mexicanum, only one is acuatic.
sorry if my english is too poor
lame.gif

this is the link were i've the photos
http://dogalichan.spaces.live.com/
thanks

W

william

did you collect these animals from the wild in Mexico? they remind me of rosaceum, but i may be wrong as photos of this species are few and far between. If they were from the states then i'd take a shot at marvoritum.

C

cameron

Looks like you have an axolotl and another species of tiger.

M

magaly

Hi, well, I bought them in a market, they're destinated to be a soup, here in mexico people thinks that if they eat axolotes soup they'll be cured of asma, gripe, etc.
I know that they're protected, but here the autorities didn't do anything to end this practice, and I thought that that will be the better choice.
Now they live in a big terrarium and I take care of all them, but I don't know what specie of ambystoma they are. I bought them in a larvae form like axolotes, but they didn't looks like ambystoma mwxicanum, maybe tigrinum, mavortium, californiense...
Thanks for the help

K

kara

hello magaly, what the aquatic ones set up like? It look like his skin is shedding or peeling. Was he shedding? Or does his skin usually look like this?
I think you do in fact have a tiger salamander and either an axolotl or a tiger larva...
You said you bought them together, so perhapd they are both the same species. It is hard to tell with the dark photo.

L

lauren

Hi Magaly! You seem to have Ambystoma velasci - the Mexican tiger salamander. The spotting on your aquatic adult is very common in that species. Where exactly did you buy them? In Puebla?

M

magaly

yes, i bought them here in puebla Lauren, i'm not shure how is the velasci ones, could you show me some photos? and sorry Kara B, i don't know lots of english and i can't understand all your message, sorry

L

lauren

There is a picture of a Velasci larva from Puebla and an adult from Jalisco on this thread:
www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/40675.html?1164601970

However, I've seen other aquatic velasci from Puebla that look like your axolotl - many small spots. A. velasci is basically the name they give to all metamorphosing populations that aren't identified as another species. They haven't figured out exactly how many species there are in Mexico yet.

Where in Puebla did you get them, Magaly?

L

lauren

Also, velasci used to be a sub-species of A. tigrinum along with mavortium and californiense, so it is closely related to them.

M

magaly

Hi kara, the acuatic one had a fungus in the skin, i think you saw that photos, now it was fine. I cured it with tetraciclina and another medicine but i cant remember the name

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    yeah, im heading over tomorrow morning to move him to this house and feed him. Thanks for the help!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    So my axolotl tank cycle just crashed and while i was in the middle of a water change my bucket overflowed and spilled water all of the ground in my brand new home. This is going super well 👍
    +2
    Unlike
  • the:
    ooff
    +1
    Unlike
  • the:
    good luck recycling the tank!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    do the classifieds still exist?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roach:
    nevermind! off my game tonight
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    Im so frustrated right now. My axolotl WONT eat and my tank still isnt looking too good. Some extra stress i needed.
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Sorry to hear that Shane. Did you post about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shane_Yogurt:
    No, I havent. Im not really sure why he wont eat. Hes in a 1 gallon tub and still a juvenile. When i offer food he swims away from it. Does he need some extra time? or is this something I should be worried about.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Hello everyone! I’m new in this world and i need some advices please! I have 2 axolotl babies and currently the water from the tank is from bottled water ( all parameters are good) but i want to change 50% of the water with city tap water. My question is how to change it? Do i need to get axis out, do the change, add the prime, wait (how much?) until its dechlorinated or i can add the tap water directly into the tank with axis in it, and add the prime conditioner? Thank you!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    1. You dont need to take them out of the tank to change the water as long as you pour it in slow as to not rattle them around too much
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    2. add the prime to your tap water, for most conditioners the consensus is 5 minutes of waiting time
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    3.After 5 minutes it should be safe to add
    +1
    Unlike
  • JulMl:
    Thank you so much !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Asmold1:
    I private messaged you a bit clearer instructions just in case
    +2
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Where can I get blackworms?
    +1
    Unlike
  • John:
    Ebay or Eastern Aquatics
    +1
    Unlike
  • noahc808:
    Does anyone know someone who can ship axolotls to hawaii? I recently did a water change and my axolotl died and there are no axos for sale right now.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    GadgetInspector has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Captive Bread has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    Hello I'm wondering if fridging axolotl is necessary when giving it a salt bath? My fridge is unpredictable it just changes from freezing temperature to melting by itself. And driving me crazy. So I would not be keen to put my axie in these because of the sudden temperature changes it may experience. Can I leave him in a clean dechlorinated water tub in some of the room? Would I then need to refrigerate the salt water ? Or would I just keep it in a same room temperature?! I have everything ready for him to get a salt bath but just wanted to check about this fridging before I do ( waited for approval to join the forum:)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sylvia88:
    FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and some pictures it looks like fungus .
    +1
    Unlike
    Sylvia88: FYI I noticed a white fluffy strings on his gills yesterday. And looking through the forum and... +1