Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What aquatic plants should i purchase?

aaustin15

Reaction score
Hello!
i need aquatic plants that can tolerate growing in sand, very low lighting,and somewhat swiftly flowing water. they will be for a paddle tail newt 10 gal tank. any suggestions?

thank you!

asfouts

Reaction score
I can help you out here most of my enclosures are sand... First bulb plants are a good place to start as they have their own anchor and food source. So dwarf lillies (Nuphar stellata), aponegetons, water onion (Crinum americana). Any beginner mosses can tolerate low light and sand. also the dwarf lillies and some aponegeton species produce leaves that sit at the surface of the water for your newt to rest on. I also have Anubias and camomba. I give them leaf fertilizer which makes their growth just explode.

Seriously the leaf fert I use is amazing, dwarf lillies normally are slow growing. Its been two weeks since it sprouted from the bulb and I already have 3 floaters and a ton of lower leaves.

Last edited:

aaustin15

Reaction score
Thank you! How much light do they need? I don't have any sort of light on the tank (it's a wire mesh top).

asfouts

Reaction score
I give them a 12 hour photo period. Since you want low light I have had moderate success with purchasing a clamp lamp from a pet store (usually like 10$) and a low wattage "Daylight bulb" by zoo-med. They are supposed to replicate natural daylight.

Hope this helps :)

bichogrilo

Reaction score
I have had a lot of success with straight vallis it spreads quickly doesn't seem to mind cold or tropical water temperatures and is growing in my bright tropical tank as well as my dimmer and colder newt tank. It spreads fast actually i have to make sure it doesn't make it outside as it is a noxious pest here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!