What are my axolots doing at night???

treeder

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, I’m confused by what is happening in my axolotl tank at night. I have two axolots, and I keep waking up to the whole tank being cloudy, the thing is it goes away within a few hours and doesn’t happen every day, leading me to believe it’s not a bacterial bloom but my axies kicking up a bunch of sand. I’m not completely ruling out a bloom though as I’m not that educated on how they work. I moved them into this tank almost two weeks ago and did a 25% water change at the week mark. They were separate before because I got my Lucy a few years after my Melanoid so I was waiting for him to get to a similar size. They are doing very well together and really seem to enjoy having a companion. I thought my mel was a male for the entire seven years I’ve had them but I’m starting to wonder if I’ve been wrong. I’ve seen them doing the mating dance but it seems they are both doing the male part of it, and I haven’t had any eggs yet, so I’m still confused lol. I’m just wondering if they’re just dancing all night and messing up their tank or what, maybe startling each other and zooming around messing up the sand? When I saw them doing the dance before they weren’t kicking up any substrate though.. I don’t know I’m just confused and wanted to see if anyone has any insight!

axolotls are mostly nocturnal which means they like to search and hunt for food at night, this includes digging through sand looking for food, it also means that they tend to be more active at night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back