Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What can I feed my eastern newts until my pellets come in?

RyanTheNewtGod

Reaction score
Can someone give me ideas on what I can feed my newt until my order comes in the mail? It got forwarded to some other address so needless to say I have nothing to feed my newts at the moment. I live in northern new jersey and I doubt I'll be able to find any live insects outside...at least around the house. Can I feed them raw meat until I get my food in the mail? It will only be a few days.THANK YOU FOR THE HELP GUYS.

RyanTheNewtGod

Reaction score
I went outside and actually found baby slugs and a few earthworms! Who would've thought there would be invertebrates in below freezing temperatures. :'P

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you found something!

Something to keep in mind is that, due to their slow metabolisms (especially if kept at the appropriately cold temperatures), healthy newts should be fine for several days with no food. They may be a little hungry, but fine all the same.

I definitely would recommend NOT feeding mammalian meat to your newts. It is not easily metabolized by caudates, is far too fatty, and may be a vector for illness. A better alternative would be frozen bloodworms that can be found in most fish stores. Hikari is a good brand, as is San Francisco Bay Company.

Hope the pellets come in soon for you,

HJ

Methos5K

Reaction score
Nearly all of my animals now eat ZooMed's Aquatic Newt food pellets. I've tried all the brands on the market, and the ZooMed brand is a soft moist sinking pellet that my newts go crazy for. :eek: I alternate them with chopped nightcrawlers, live blackworms (AquaticFoods has a nice keeper for them) and frozen Haikiri bloodworms (which have extra vitamins and higher quality). For the occasional snack I give waxworms, and during the ice fishing season I can get spikes as well. Spikes will not keep very long before turning into flies, but I've read they are very good for newts.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I feed my nopthalmus live food only , chopped earthworm , whiteworm, hoglice, daphnia, blackworm and random water bugs. Some of these inverts would need culturing but could you just collect yourself some from a local waterway ? earthworms should be available in stores.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
My Notophthalmus viridescens ate chopped Canadian night-crawlers, frozen/thawed blood-worms, and the occasional calcium dusted cricket or wax-worm from tweezers, to get them to go into their water dish

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1