Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What color is my axie? Could I have a piebald?

meerkat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a lovely white male who has coloration on his head. Does this make him a piebald? Also I purchased a juvenile axie who is a light brown coloration with flex of gold. Is this a harlequin? I am not a fan of the gold coloring, however to have a beautiful mix was one that I could not resist purchasing. I have attached photos to see if I am jumping the gun. I have baby axies at one month old at the moment a mix of the white male pictured here and a black female. So far I have half and half white and dark. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,031
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,075

lea

Reaction score
I have no idea if he is a piebald(I dont think he is tho) but he has the cutest freckles on his face:D.

Neil C

Reaction score
Your first axolotl is a leucistic. Sometimes they stay white and othertimes you start seeing dark spots and in extreme cases the whole face become black. Your second axolotl looks very interesting to me. Looks like a leucistic with spots of gold. Could you post a clearere pic if possible? Nice axolotls by the way.

Regards Neil

meerkat

Reaction score
You will need to rely on the awesome ability of my iphone to take these photos :p In the right light you will see all the flex of gold around his gills. These colorations also continue down his body. He is so very very pretty.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 692

Neil C

Reaction score
Looks like a "copper" with added gold. Very nice and unusual axolotl. I'm assuming the pic taken of him at the top of the page was taken quite a while ago? I''ve got some babies that started off looking like leucistics and then suddenly put on a lot of colour.

Regards Neil

Last edited:

meerkat

Reaction score
I like the idea of a copper/gold color combo. The photos at the top were taken in the morning while he was in the main tank. I then put him in a little tupperware container in order to take a better photo. Tricky thing is that you have to get him in the right light and right angle to see the gold splotches.

I am sure that so many other axie owners here will attest to, that when I was in an aquarium store and saw him and his coloring I could not leave him there in the shop and so he came home with me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!