Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do I feed my boys and girls?

GaryH

Reaction score
I just switched my Fire Belly Toads over to an Aquatic Enclosure today, Prior to this they were in an all Soil Enclosure, feeding was simple. Prior to the Water Enclosure I fed my guys anything that moved and they ate it, now with an Aquatic Enclosure what do I feed them? Small fish? I put crickets in but the drowned awefully quick.

Suggestions please?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The toads should still have access to dry land, preferably with a basking spot. I use a concrete slab standing on top of bricks or other 'legs', forming a table-like structure with the water level a couple of mm below the level of the slab. You could use a turtle dock to similar effect. I find that they prefer fixed islands, rather than floating cork bark etc.

The toads will usually not take food from under the water (although there are exceptions). I generally feed crickets and earthworms, by placing the prey items on the land areas. There will be drowned crickets, but if you add the crickets a few at a time, the toads will take most of them from the land or the surface of the water before they drown. I mainly use black crickets, which aren't so prone to ping about, but rather run and area little more cautious around water. Have some emergent plants or sticks etc can also help as the crickets will climb onto them if they fall in the water.

You can also offer the items from forceps - this works particularly well with earthworms.

Another alternative is to use a shallow dish placed on the land area to contain the crickets. The toads need to be able to see into it and get to the food without the food getting out, though, so you need to find just the right dish!

Whichever way you feed them, make sure that all the toads get food. With a terrestrial tank, there is more space for all the toads to feed, but less dominant ones can miss out when they are fed from a smaller terrestrial platform in an aquatic tank.

It may be more of a pain to feed the toads in the new setup, but you will get a lot more out of them behaviour wise - it is a more natural environment for the spring and summer.
In the autumn and winter you can move them to a terrestrial box and hibernate them at about 7C.

C

GaryH

Reaction score
The toads should still have access to dry land, preferably with a basking spot. I use a concrete slab standing on top of bricks or other 'legs', forming a table-like structure with the water level a couple of mm below the level of the slab. You could use a turtle dock to similar effect. I find that they prefer fixed islands, rather than floating cork bark etc.

The toads will usually not take food from under the water (although there are exceptions). I generally feed crickets and earthworms, by placing the prey items on the land areas. There will be drowned crickets, but if you add the crickets a few at a time, the toads will take most of them from the land or the surface of the water before they drown. I mainly use black crickets, which aren't so prone to ping about, but rather run and area little more cautious around water. Have some emergent plants or sticks etc can also help as the crickets will climb onto them if they fall in the water.

You can also offer the items from forceps - this works particularly well with earthworms.

Another alternative is to use a shallow dish placed on the land area to contain the crickets. The toads need to be able to see into it and get to the food without the food getting out, though, so you need to find just the right dish!

Whichever way you feed them, make sure that all the toads get food. With a terrestrial tank, there is more space for all the toads to feed, but less dominant ones can miss out when they are fed from a smaller terrestrial platform in an aquatic tank.

It may be more of a pain to feed the toads in the new setup, but you will get a lot more out of them behaviour wise - it is a more natural environment for the spring and summer.
In the autumn and winter you can move them to a terrestrial box and hibernate them at about 7C.

C

Thanks so much, not a pain, i love thee guys, I want to make them happy. They have plenty of land surface. At least a 1/3 of the tank has land surfaces Slate) stacked up including tons of plants, as soon as I tweek it a bit im gonna post a picture.

Thanks for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1