Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do you recommend?

What species do you recommend?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cliygh and Mia

What species do you recommend? Ambystoma Mexicanum, Tarichia Granulosa, or Pleurodeles Waltl? Honestly I am leaning closer to The rough skinned newt, Tarichia Granulosa

sde

Reaction score
I vote P. waltl. The reason being, because the T. granulosa will be wild caught, whereas the P. waltl will be captive bred. Plus P. waltl is a great starter newt.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Well I thought there were going to be some CB ones later this year, a couple people have bred these guys recently, and I like their look

Dyelon

Reaction score
I vote P. waltl. The reason being, because the T. granulosa will be wild caught, whereas the P. waltl will be captive bred. Plus P. waltl is a great starter newt.

Agreed, although I'm a big fan of P. waltl and have never kept T. granulosa so I'm a bit biased.

And compared to Axolotls I find P. waltl to be a bit more unique and there is something more appealing about them.

sde

Reaction score
Well I thought there were going to be some CB ones later this year, a couple people have bred these guys recently, and I like their look

Oh, I thought you were thinking of collecting some. Even if you find CB T. granulosa, I would still recommend P. waltl. A much better starter newt, and the juveniles are much easier to raise I imagine.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Oh, and I'm not interested in breeding, so if your saying a certain species because it breeds easy, I don't really care about that

sde

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm not interested in breeding, so if your saying a certain species because it breeds easy, I don't really care about that

No, I am just saying P. waltl are a better starter newt, and since most likely CB T. granulosa or P. waltlare sold as juveniles ( from the reliable breeders, anyway ), P. waltl are most likely easier to raise.

C

Cliygh and Mia

No, I am just saying P. waltl are a better starter newt, and since most likely CB T. granulosa or P. waltlare sold as juveniles ( from the reliable breeders, anyway ), P. waltl are most likely easier to raise.

Oh, I wasn't talking about that, I was just stating something

C

Cliygh and Mia

The only thing that I see about ribbed newts, is that I don't see listings for them that often. In the for sale section, I only saw one listing, and it was for letustic morphs (I really like the wild type morphs than other morphs) and even then they were pricey ($40 plus shipping)

ChristineB

Reaction score
Joshfrogz72 has some leucistics listed at only $20 plus shipping; I'm finalizing an order for a couple from him. I'm also surprised that they are so unpopular, yet widely recommended as great pets. Another forum member on here told me he didn't plan to breed his again, because they sold so poorly last year (and I think his were going for like $15!). You never see them in pet stores, either.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
The only thing that I see about ribbed newts, is that I don't see listings for them that often. In the for sale section, I only saw one listing, and it was for letustic morphs (I really like the wild type morphs than other morphs) and even then they were pricey ($40 plus shipping)

I see P. waltl offered all the time, and usually they're only around 20$, if you want something easier to find, its definitely not going to be T. granulosa, and I imagine they won't be super cheap since they aren't bred very often. A. mexicanum is a good option for something easy to keep, that looks different, and is available nearly all the time.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Go for axolotls or ribbed newts. They are inexpensive and easy to keep, and since you have only a small amount of experience with caudates you should avoid something that may be more tricky, like T. Granulosa.

C

Cliygh and Mia

I am now thinking the axolotl, because it is easy to find for sale and easy to care for

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
In Georgia the waltl will contend with any heat problems better than axolotls. Check the classifieds for het for leucistic ribbed newts. Their should be some up there soon.

C

Cliygh and Mia

More complications arose, so I decided to wait until I can actually sell/ship. Either that or I will keep them

Last edited:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
P. waltl het for leucistic.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 211
Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1