Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What fertilizers?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
In my 20 gallon long I have an axolotl, and getting some glass shrimp and a few white clouds too soon. Calgary coppers recommended Thrive, which is axolotl safe which means shrimp safe as well. However, it’s pretty expensive for a bottle on amazon. Can someone list chemicals I need to watch out for when searching for fertilizers? Or does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Copper and iodine are big bads and in most fertilizers.

in general you have to get a labeled shrimp safe and it should be Axolotl safe but I always do a lower dose to be sure.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Copper and iodine are big bads and in most fertilizers.

in general you have to get a labeled shrimp safe and it should be Axolotl safe but I always do a lower dose to be sure.
Okay thank you! Iodine makes them morph right? Would Seachem Flourish Excel or Seachem Flourish work?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
No neither are safe.

Excel is liquid CO2 and actually causes alot of issues long term in any tank. Flourish contains copper.

It HAS to be a labelled shrimp safe and either are.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
No neither are safe.

Excel is liquid CO2 and actually causes alot of issues long term in any tank. Flourish contains copper.

It HAS to be a labelled shrimp safe and either are.
ThriveCaps will work right? There a bit cheaper and since I plan to get Amazon swords and Anubis’s and some hornwort, all root feeders, it seems more practical

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I can't say for sure as I've never used them. Are they specifically labelled safe for shrimp? verified no copper or iodine in the ingredients?

Anubias are not root plants they are rhizomes and do not get buried but rather attached to driftwood, decor etc, hornwort does not have roots either - they both feed from the water column.

ThriveCaps will work right? There a bit cheaper and since I plan to get Amazon swords and Anubis’s and some hornwort, all root feeders, it seems more practical

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I can't say for sure as I've never used them. Are they specifically labelled safe for shrimp? verified no copper or iodine in the ingredients?

Anubias are not root plants they are rhizomes and do not get buried but rather attached to driftwood, decor etc, hornwort does not have roots either - they both feed from the water column.
Sorry! I haven’t checked plants in a while. It says there’s no iodine and .00001% copper in it. Maybe I’ll just save up for thrive and be done with it😂😂 kind of annoying that iodine and copper are so popular in fertilizers

athos56

Reaction score
Anybody use Aquarium Co-op Easy Green? I use it in my planted tank and am using in my cycling axolotl tanks. It says tested to be fish, shrimp and snail safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!