Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happened to him?

Nat Alie

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Yes, my axolotls began to eat little by little. But for 3 days I do not find their manure in the aquarium. Earlier its be every day. I don't know if this new type of food will be less likely to cause defecation. Do they have digestive problems and constipation? If it is constipation, how to help them?
In addition, the gray aksolotl resembles a balloon - floats without desire on the surface whole, or can not stand on its hind legs. Touches the floor only with the front paws, the tail and hind legs follow upwards. Does he have flatulence? What is treatment? Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_093858.jpg
    IMG_20210422_093858.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210422_093810.jpg
    IMG_20210422_093810.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20210422_093753.jpg
    IMG_20210422_093753.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 82

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Put the gray one in a shallow tub. Fill it with just enough water to cover him. Feed him as normal and change the water every day. That should help him recover from gas problems

Nat Alie

Reaction score
Дякую, спробую.
Я все ще маю це питання. Як часто я повинен їх годувати? Я читав, що через 1 рік через 1 день. Але вони мало мене їли, близько 4 глистів. Потім годувала їх щодня. Зараз я щодня годую однаково. Але вони їдять 2 білих глистів, або 1-2 ковтки тонких червоних. Інше питання: як часто їм слід спорожнювати кишечник? Колись це було щодня. Зараз 1 раз на 2 дні.
Дякую за пораду.

Покладіть сіру в неглибоку ванну. Наповніть його рівною кількістю води, щоб покрити його. Годуйте його як зазвичай і міняйте воду щодня. Це має допомогти йому оговтатися від проблем із газом

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
I am not sure how often you should feed a young axolotl. I hear it is every day but I do not know the quantity. Once they get closer to full size, you will need to transition to earth worms or pellets, because bloodworms don't have enough nutrients in them for adults to really thrive off of.

Nat Alie

Reaction score
Я не впевнений, як часто слід годувати молодого аксолотля. Я чую, що це щодня, але я не знаю кількості. Після того, як вони наблизяться до повного розміру, вам доведеться перейти на земляних черв'яків або гранули, оскільки у мокриць недостатньо поживних речовин, щоб дорослі могли справді процв
Thank you for your answer. When growing axolotls I will remember this.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Дякую, спробую.
Я все ще маю це питання. Як часто я повинен їх годувати? Я читав, що через 1 рік через 1 день. Але вони мало мене їли, близько 4 глистів. Потім годувала їх щодня. Зараз я щодня годую однаково. Але вони їдять 2 білих глистів, або 1-2 ковтки тонких червоних. Інше питання: як часто їм слід спорожнювати кишечник? Колись це було щодня. Зараз 1 раз на 2 дні.
Дякую за пораду.
For axolotls that are less than 12 cm, I would recommend feeding them every day. Once they are around 12 cm, you can start getting them used to eating every other day. If they seem hungry, feed them. Axolotls usually stop eating once they're full.

As mentioned above, you should also start feeding them earthworms around this age, not bloodworms or waxworms. The best kinds are canadian or European nightcrawlers or red wigglers. Alternatively, you can feed them pellets for axolotls as long as the pellets have at least 40% protein. Both worms and pellets are available online. I don't know what you're able to buy in your area, but I recommend Uncle Jim's Worm Farm for worms and Invert Aquatics for pellets. Both of these companies sell online.

The amount of poop will depend on what your axolotl is eating. I've noticed that my axolotl poops less often when he's been eating pellets and more often when he eats worms. This makes sense, since there is more mass in the worms. It also depends on the individual axolotl. Some empty their bowels more frequently than others.

Nat Alie

Reaction score
For axolotls that are less than 12 cm, I would recommend feeding them every day. Once they are around 12 cm, you can start getting them used to eating every other day. If they seem hungry, feed them. Axolotls usually stop eating once they're full.

As mentioned above, you should also start feeding them earthworms around this age, not bloodworms or waxworms. The best kinds are canadian or European nightcrawlers or red wigglers. Alternatively, you can feed them pellets for axolotls as long as the pellets have at least 40% protein. Both worms and pellets are available online. I don't know what you're able to buy in your area, but I recommend Uncle Jim's Worm Farm for worms and Invert Aquatics for pellets. Both of these companies sell online.

The amount of poop will depend on what your axolotl is eating. I've noticed that my axolotl poops less often when he's been eating pellets and more often when he eats worms. This makes sense, since there is more mass in the worms. It also depends on the individual axolotl. Some empty their bowels more frequently than others.
Hello, I am very grateful to you for a complete and comprehensive answer. My axolotls are 15 and 15.5 cm. In winter, when I bought them, they were a year old. I will try to find food for them that will be useful to them. Thanks for the advice, I'm glad our band, where experienced axolotl owners can advise everything to beginners

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1