Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What has the forum meant to you?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The forum is back up. I thought we might take this opportunity to post how the forum has changed our lives for the better. I, for one, have made friends that I have even met in person. I started out with a wc eastern newt and now have about ten species and a basement that looks like a mad scientist's laboratory. I have been greatly enriched by caudate keeping, which I would never have begun without the forum.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
It has helped me learn more about axolotls and (gradually) about other salamander species.

I particular like the forums because I learn best by solving problems, so seeing what problems other people are having and then searching the forums or (sometimes) the rest of the web for solutions helps me learn faster than I would otherwise.

xxianxx

Reaction score
This forum is the only one I recommend to people who need to research axolotls and newts. I kept axolotls for a few years before I found this site and I wish I had found it sooner as much of the info you google about them sucks.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Firs off, a HUGE thank you to John for reopening the forum. I never got the chance to thank you for this wonderful place until it closed. Second, I have said it before and I will say it again, and that is if it were not for coming across Caudata, my Fire Bellies would likely have died. I have not found a better resource anywhere, and if it were not for the friendlies on this forum, I would not know what I do know now. My FBNs and I thank everyone here, especially John a thousand times and more.

anjelloca

Reaction score
I haven't really been here for a long time, but I did use this site before joining for research to write papers on axolotls during school and further my knowledge of other salamander species for work purposes. It's GREATLY expanded my interest in learning more about other amphibians and reptiles and has even inspired me to start volunteering at my local aquarium.

I was going through a depression before starting this hobby and now it's all I think about. I feel like I found something that I thoroughly enjoy, it's almost therapeutic coming onto this forum to get my amphibian fix. Without this forum I'd probably still be depressed and my anxiety would be through the roof. Not to mention the care of my axolotls would be extremely subpar, I would have zero clue what I'm doing. They'd probably all 4 would be in a 10 gallon tank with pretty pink gravel.

Speaking of, I would never have come across my juvies Armani, Versace, and Dior. :proud:

I love this place so much I am so happy it's opened up again. Thank you John!!!!

eMax

Reaction score
My favorite part of the forums has been learning about how people keep the various uncommonly kept species! I have enjoyed reading people's accounts of keeping and even breeding Pseudotriton, Aneides, Necturus, Siren and Pseudobranchus... I love seeing the secrets of keeping these wonderful animals being discovered not just by zoos and institutions, but by wonderfully dedicated and creative enthusiasts. It's my favorite forum on the internet, and I feel like the fun is just beginning!

Thanks to all of you for helping make this forum my favorite place to browse in my free time, and a special thanks to John Clare for undertaking the not insignificant task of creating and managing a forum, a task I expect only gets more troublesome the larger it gets. Not only has he contributed greatly to our hobby by creating this forum for us, but he continues to have some very cool projects as well - like breeding barred tiger sals! And anyone who is interested in wild amphibian photographs, his flickr profile is definitely worth exploring!

Thanks John for starting the forum back up. We missed it!

Cheers,
Eric

Bette

Reaction score
I also recommend this forum as the ultimate go to source for everything axolotl and newt, etc. I'm really glad that John decided to reinstate the forum. The hobby will be better for it.
Thanks John :happy:

HollyMon

Reaction score
Thank you John for bringing the website back! I recently got into axolotls, just this past summer, and this site has been my go to source of information! This site has really helped me with a few problems, and kept some from happening in the first place. Thank you again for bringing it back! :D

Tw1st3dR0s3

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing the forums back up! I find myself browsing the forums quite often recently now that I'm working on two new set-ups.

I started out with my first tiger salamander 5 years ago, and if I would have known about the site then, I would have purchased one from someone on here rather than from a pet store (became interested in them after working with one at a zoo). Because of this wonderful community, my collection has increased from 2 salamanders to 8 in less than a year. I love my salamanders, and I frequently use them for educational purposes. :D

Skudo09

Reaction score
A huge thank you to John for reopening the forum. I have learnt so much through this amazing forum and community and my axolotls are happy and healthy because of this forum. I am grateful to be nor to continue to be a part of this amazing community and I truly believe that this forum has and will continue to greatly benefit the lives of caudates

CatSpit

Reaction score
I'm so glad that the forums are back! Thank you, they are amazing and so informative, and to boot, there are great people to help out with any problems that come up. I have kept newts for years and in my 'google' searches for information, posts from this forum have been the most accurate and helpful. I finally registered and was worried when the forums went down as they are a wealth of information for so many! I would hate to think that caudates would not get the care they should have, and having the forums back will further their care and continue to educate us.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Man, I haven't been on the forums for so long... It's been about a year since the last of my newts passed, but I'm definitely looking into more.
I heard about the site shutdown over the Caudata FB group, and though I didn't ask John his reasoning (I'm sure it was perfectly good), I'm glad he reopened it.
John, if you read this, I want you to know that I don't think I could've owned newts without the help of this site, its database, and its community. Your site is the single most progressive thing in caudate-keeping since... Ever. You should be incredibly proud. You've united strangers from across the globe, taught them everything, and advanced this hobby more than you can imagine. I thank you for everything you've done, and I know that we'll all continue using this site for as long as it stays up.

Thank you,
Daniel

Methos5K

Reaction score
The words are right there in the corner of my screen. All bathed in green and gold. "Where would my hobby be without Caudata.org?" "That's right. You're welcome!". This is a great community of fellow minded hobbyists/scientists/breeders and everyone interested in being caretakers of these fascinating animals and helping new members become as well. Thank you for reopening the forums.

sde

Reaction score
I think there is a lesson to be learned within all of this, don't take this site for granted, and, you don't know what you have till its gone.
John, I am very happy you have brought this beautiful site back up, it has taught me so very much. Without this site, i would still be keeping T. granulosa in a 20 gallon tank with concrete and plywood, and be throwing in a few stems of a grass like plant because i thought that would help water quality. Without this site, i would be hopelessly trying to keep amphibians with no success. This site has changed my life. I am so glad i have the resource i do, or, if John wouldn't have brought it back up, then the resource i did have. Thanks to all who have changed the way i live :D

keiko

Reaction score
Thank you for putting the site back up! I believe the information on this site has truly saved the lives of countless amphibians around the world. The hobby would not be the same without it. There isn't much information about any of these animals in Finnish so this forum, CC and axolotl.org have been my go-tos when I was first getting my axolotls and ensicaudas. Those are also the sites I recommend to everyone who buys an axolotl from me. Hopefully this forum will stay open and active for years, because it really is an invaluable source of information.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't posted on the forum for a while, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't upset when the forum was down. I've been a member for a relatively long time and like so many others, the site helped me to learn how to keep my animals properly and put me in touch with a community that I would never have been able to meet otherwise. Getting back onto the forum has actually left me quite nostalgic (although I won't be looking at my embarrassing first few posts any time soon!). I think a lot of others feel this way. Being lucky enough to work at a zoo, caudata.org has actually played a large part in defining my career path as well as my hobby and in a parallel universe without the forum, I am almost certainly doing a very different job while my sick, WC animals die in unsuitable conditions!
Long live caudata.org!

Davo

Reaction score
Been on here for a few years now and made a few friends that i class as close friends.I have always read new techniques on husbandry and gave them ago. I am 100% sure that my newts are much healthier and happier for the tips and info that i have got from this site. :D

I also like that we don't get the bull and swearing that seems the normal language on some sites. :eek:

I hope it continues in the same way as it always has done, firm but fair. That way any youngster's coming into the hobby will benefit from the valuable information and not the bull that they might get from other sites! :cool:

KCKme

Reaction score
Thank you for this forum. My daughter is a budding scientist of some sort (she's still young, exact discpline to be decided). She has fallen in love with axolotls and without this forum and it's vast information and real-live people who help us newbie's along, we'd never have had the information to be successful in keeping our axie's safe and healthy. The information here continues to fan my daughter's interest and will be an invaluable resource as she grows, learns and ultimately chooses specific training and a career path. Thank you so much John for re-opening this forum and it's vast information and sharing your passion and knowledge for all these creatures. And thank you to all other experts for all your help, knowledge and your willingess to share.

leandrah

Reaction score
Wow. This forum has taught me everything I know about Axolotls, thanks to all of the Prolific Members and Elise, Auntie Jude, Kaysie, and all the rest :)

Dyelon

Reaction score
I can't say much that has not already been said but this has truly been one of those "you don't know what you have until it's gone" sort of things. Although I'm not the most active in posting things, I habitually browse the forums in my down time every day. I realized that without this site my hobby is hindered beyond belief. Thank you John and everyone else for everything that you do to make my hobby do-able and that much more of a learning experience. Thank you. My salamanders also thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1