What is this beauty???

morg

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Morg
I already know what it is, seeing as its mine, but Im wondering how many caudata .org users know
No cheating you people Ive already emailed or texted about it.
I have 3 all of slightly different ages

Attachments

• Pictures 001.jpg
    Pictures 001.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 547
  • Pictures 002.jpg
    Pictures 002.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 484
Is it an albino tiger sal? it looks too pink to a leucistic axolotl.

Melanoid Golden Albino Axolotl?

I´m thinking Ichthyosaura. I hope, whatever they are, you keep them for yourself or at least away from people who would breed them.

no correct guesses yet, I will post a pic or two, when the larger one reaches metamorphosis, to see if the species is more noticable then.

I do think it looks very axolotl like at this stage though

Axanthetic something....

Well, it´s definitely a salamandrid, so if it´s not Ichthyosaura, my second vote (also known as cheating :p) goes to Lissotriton.

My guess is an axanthic (sp?) something. I would have said axolotl but.. You've already pretty much said it isn't and if it isn't an axolotl then I have no clue coz they are all I know about :D

Aww... I had hoped someone had guessed by now. Certainly an eye catching animal and I am looking forward to the identity being revealed :D

Final Guess...Axanthetic/Albino Fire Salamander :D

Well, it´s definitely a salamandrid, so if it´s not Ichthyosaura, my second vote (also known as cheating :p) goes to Lissotriton.

You are getting close with lissotriton.

The one in the picture is slightly larger than the full size a lissotriton vulgaris would get in its larval stage, and still has a bit of growing to do.
It is however a bit smaller than other normal coloured individuals from same batch of eggs, even though it is being raised alone and eats the same amounts as the others.

All were started on small daphnia and microworms, progressing to grindal, then whiteworms, now live bloodworm, live tubifex worm., chopped earthworm, and small fly maggots.

I believe it's Triturus carnifex or Triturus Cristatus, looking at the vertebral stripe.

Steven

I believe it's Triturus carnifex or Triturus Cristatus, looking at the vertebral stripe.

Steven

Good observation mate
It is in fact a Triturus cristatus
[ before any UK folks start, they are from completely legal cb parents bought originally as eggs from charles snell]
please read this short thread before pming me dissagreeing
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...7-newt-salamander-help/48466-newt-novice.html
Before ever obtaining eggs from him I rang English nature who advised me that they know Charles and eggs from him are legal
I have had these adults breed for quite a few years now.
This is the first time the adults have produced this coloured young though.

Last edited:
That's nice, I have heard they existed but have never seen one on photo. I have a white (flavist) carnifex myself, yet white carnifex are a lot more common.

Can you breed white cristatus the same way as carnifex? (the white color in carnifex is caused by an recessive gene)

Can't wait until your cristatus morphs, looks like it won't take long anymore.

Steven

[Can you breed white cristatus the same way as carnifex? (the white color in carnifex is caused by an recessive gene)]

Ive no idea, Ive tried looking it up, but theres not much out there about them, and Ive never heard of anybody getting them in cb cristatus.

Aargh...bloody Triturus xD The shape of the snout completely threw me off. I´m not used to seeing it in Triturus. Anyway, enough moaning, i shall accept my failure with whatever dignity i have left :p

UPDATE
All three still going strong, the largest and oldest of the three looks even more like an axolotl now as he-she is getting quite large and as yet shows no signs of losing its gills.

The middle one on the other hand has lost its gills and is only around half the size of the larger one.
Pics will follow as soon as all have gone through metamorphosis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back