Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this!?

jungleboy01

Reaction score
I found this thing under my water dish in my tiger salamander tank. Can you ID it? And is it bad? Because there might be more in the tank

jungleboy01

Reaction score
4ytejuva.jpg

It has a little black head and crawls like a cross between a caterpillar and a worm. Kind of transparent. I can see a black line inside. Maybe it's gi tract

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Planaria,I believe .I have these in my tanks the newts eat them and larvae eat their young i think anyway,although adult planaria eat eggs,I have some kind of planaria that thrives in my adult tanks,I cannot bring myself to get rid of it as any larvae i have gets fed for free

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Terrestrial flatworms can reach lengths measured in feet, depending on species. I've seen native species over a half inch. However, that looks like a maggot/caterpillar of some kind. Potential lunch, but possible also a sign of something leftover in the cage for insects to feed and nest in.

jungleboy01

Reaction score
I just have some moss on coconut substrate with a piece of wood for him to burrow under. Anything that they could survive on?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If there's food buried in there somewhere (a long-forgotten earthworm), that's plenty.

jungleboy01

Reaction score
The substrate is only like a month And a half old. So nothing really forgotten. And my salamander eats everything I give him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!