What is this?

Chef

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
37324D9F-2590-4E0A-B9F8-F2C1752E3328.jpeg
E277C0FB-361A-42E7-B370-2AF531DF29CC.jpeg

I haven’t been able to find any pictures that look exactly like this. I don’t think it’s serious because he had something similar ages ago but I was assured by the breeder I got him from that it was just debris caught in the gills and it was nothing to worry about. It went away soon after and he’s had no issues up to now. I’ve noticed no change in behaviour or any other physical abnormalities and he actually dislodged one of the white things. They aren’t attached to the gills in the way it shows in the first picture but are instead like a string hanging from a tiny area that drags behind him. If anyone can actually give me an answer on what this is that would be great thanks.

Another update, similar to the last time, the strands are literally a quarter of the size they were and one is gone completely within a short period of time posting this

It’s completely gone now with no traces left behind today so I’d say that has to be the case so. It just seemed to be a larger bit of debris this time round so I was just wondering if it was anything to be worried about.

Nope - I keep turkey baster around to direct water at gills if things look to be caught in the gills - 99.9% of the time its debris

Oh ok thanks for the tip I have various different sizes of Turkey basters for tank maintenance but I was afraid to get near the stuff in case I hurt him. I’m more at ease now that he’s definitely ok so thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back