What is your favorite species to work with?

AmphibiGirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious to see what some breeders are passionate about. Both positive and negative experiences.

I've kept a few different salamanders. My current favorites are alpine and marbled newts. Alpines are really simple and low maintenance, as long as they are kept in a cool location, with lots of aquatic vegetation. I keep them fully aquatic.
Marbled newts are bigger and more colorful. I keep the adults terrestrially in the summer, and aquatic during the breeding season. I suppose that adds a small amount of complexity, and requires more space for the extra aquariums, but to me, that makes it interesting. I really haven't had much in the way of negative experiences with these two species.
I also like native salamanders. I've kept tigers, which are big and hungry. Easy to keep. I've kept blue spotteds, which I like very much, but they are secretive and seldom seen. Red backed salamanders are another native that I've kept. They actively climb and hunt at night, which is fun to watch. They are also incredible escape artists, and require smaller prey. Mudpuppies require large enclosures and clean, cool water, but it's really fun to watch them hunt and eat. They have big appetites, too.
There are quite a few other species that I think would be neat to have, but like everyone else, I only have so much time and space for them.

I've kept a few different salamanders. My current favorites are alpine and marbled newts. Alpines are really simple and low maintenance, as long as they are kept in a cool location, with lots of aquatic vegetation. I keep them fully aquatic.
Marbled newts are bigger and more colorful. I keep the adults terrestrially in the summer, and aquatic during the breeding season. I suppose that adds a small amount of complexity, and requires more space for the extra aquariums, but to me, that makes it interesting. I really haven't had much in the way of negative experiences with these two species.
I also like native salamanders. I've kept tigers, which are big and hungry. Easy to keep. I've kept blue spotteds, which I like very much, but they are secretive and seldom seen. Red backed salamanders are another native that I've kept. They actively climb and hunt at night, which is fun to watch. They are also incredible escape artists, and require smaller prey. Mudpuppies require large enclosures and clean, cool water, but it's really fun to watch them hunt and eat. They have big appetites, too.
There are quite a few other species that I think would be neat to have, but like everyone else, I only have so much time and space for them.

This is pretty cool. I havent really met many people that breed newts besides 2 from Facebook. A.j and Jose. I met them when I began posting about my tiger salamander hybrid. I soon found out how people view hybridization in a negative way and I stopped posting him. I own a Yellow Spotted Salamander, 2 marbled salamanders, 1 blue spotted and 3 California Newts (Taricha torosa).

But other than that I own:
6 Axolotls
1 jungle Carpet Python
1 Carpondro GTP X Jungle Carpet Python Hybrid
2 Northern White Lipped Pythons
10 cave geckos
3 knob tailed geckos
4 Red eyed Crocodile Skinks
2 leopard geckos
1 blue tongue skink
And 4 Malaysian Leaf Frogs

Most serious herp hobbyists aren't too keen on hybrids. There are too many as it is, especially among snakes.
It looks like you've got quite a diverse herp collection.

Lol yeah, I mean I want to be able to expand my experience. I get the pros and cons on both ends of the field with hybrids. As long as those who are creating them are responsibly selling to trustworthy buyers.

What made you decide to breed?

What made you decide to breed?

I've been breeding herps for many years. I have always liked alpine newts, and a few years ago (during the interstate ban) I was able to buy some locally. Due to the ban, I initially had no intention to breed them, but the newts had other ideas. They were quite prolific that first year, and unfortunately, I lost quite a few in the process of learning the most efficient and effective ways of housing and feeding them. It's a lot of work, but for a herp addict like me, it's enjoyable work.

Thats pretty cool. I respect that. Trial and errors are essential for growth. I havent bred anything yet. I had a accidently clutch with my Axolotls, but that was about it. Last year, I wasnt ready to raise babies. So I gave the eggs to one of my friends and she raised them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back