What kind of Bombina do I have?

pinkspore

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are my craigslist toads. Please pardon the critter keeper, they have a planted/cycled/filtered 10G tank waiting for them in my classroom tomorrow. One of them appears to have a swollen/cloudy eye.

Any guesses on species or gender?
IhOOF.jpg

This guy looks like he might be a different variety than the bright ones.
MMk24.jpg

Oriental fire belly toads, Bombina orientalis. They can be green or brown on top.

I recommend googling "Bombina orientalis caresheet" to get detailed info on how to take care of them. Here is a good one for a start. They like a tank that is part water and part land. They are voracious eaters, so make sure you have lots of live crickets for them!

The females tend to be plumber, with a relatively larger abdomen than the males, but it can be difficult to tell. Only the males call.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've been reading caresheets and the existing forum posts about these guys, they are adorable. Their tank is a 10G that is half filled with water and has a filter with a waterfall and stream so they have plenty of water and some land too. There's also a little java fern, some pothos, and a water hyacinth in there.

Most of caresheets I've read say that I can house 5 or 6 toads in a 10G tank, but a lot of the forum posts say that this size is barely adequate for my toad trio.

5 or 6 per 10 ga does sound tight. These are very active toads, so the more space the better. Your 3 will probably be ok in the 10 ga though.

They seem to be settling in nicely.
rUHsH.jpg

This is Calico Jack's bad eye. Maybe an old injury?
1HnZ3.jpg

Here's his good eye.
yOHIn.jpg

And Jack from the front.
S6ewe.jpg

Henry Morgan.
semF2.jpg

Black Bart.
EyTeb.jpg

lookin' good :) I'd keep an eye on that cloudy eyeball though - it might have gotten injured, I'd watch to make sure it doesn't get fungus. If it looks stable that way it's probably ok...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back