Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of filter do you use?

caretaker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wondered what kind of filter everyone uses? What you do and don't like about it.I have a a Marineland 200 with a bio wheel. 40 gallon tank. I am trying to figure out if I like this filter and if there is a better one out there! :happy:

Caretaker

linuxrulesusa

Reaction score
I just use a large sponge filter (ATI Hydro IV or V) in my tank with three small juvenile axolotls (~3-4" ea). I do a 50% WC weekly and so far it seems to be working well. As they grow I may need to look into more powerful filtration, so I'll probably look at an Aquaclear and put a baffle over the outtake to spread out the flow/current.

I prefer the Aquaclears or sponges over the biowheels because the biowheels tend to get clogged and stop turning and/or if you lose power at all the bacteria dries out on the paper wheels, whereas with the sponge or Aquaclear it stays wet as a general rule even during a temporary power outage.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always used Eheim external filters on my aquatic set ups. The ecco pro models are my favorite at the moment as the turnover is quite gentle compared to most power filters, and if you use them with a spraybar the water movement that Axolotls hate so much is almost eliminated.

Yevgeniy matsay

Reaction score
I'm using a biological and mechnical pump filtration for my 5 gallon tank. It works pretty good and leaves the water crystal clear. But if you want a hang on back the BEST is an aquaclear hands down. That filter works amazing i have one and always use it for 3 tanks.

- Yevgeniy :kill:

caretaker

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your info! Now I am wondering this, what would happen if I used a filter for a 100 gallon tank in my 40 gallon tank? Would it keep my tank clean longer or just be over kill and cause damage to my little creatures? :happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you run a bigger than you need filter it just means it has the capacity to support more bacteria to deal with the waste products. The actual amount of bacteria in the filter is entirely dependent on the amount of biological waste produced by your frogs, so it won't make your tank any cleaner. That said, i always run the biggest canister filter i can because it's a good way of adding extra water volume to the tank!
As long as the return flow isn't too powerful a bigger filter won't cause any harm, it also means the extra capacity is there if you need it, for instance if you add another frog.
Hope this helps :)

otolith

Reaction score
I generally use no filters for larvae tanks and sponge filters for my adult tanks. My tanks are densely planted so water quality would probably be fine even without the filtration. I like to use sponge filters mounted on power heads for species that live in stream/river environments.

I have heard very good things about the small submersible Eheim filters as well and would consider them for shallow water applications.

asfouts

Reaction score
I am sure this post is way old by now, but I would like to add popularity to a brand that isn't well known

I have heavy bioload systems and no filter has been able to keep up as well as Aquatop UV canister filters. They come with a spray bar to dampen the out flow that you can extend so it evenly distributes new water across your entire tank. Of course the only downfall is that UV bulbs are expensive. I just bought an over the back filter for my 20 gallon with UV attachment and it also works wonders. It comes with a built in protein skimmer too if you have problems with scum forming on the water surface. Only down side I have to say is that the flow rate is a little fast. You can turn off the UV attachment.

EHEIM is another good filter brand

ntny

Reaction score
Hi guys

since my tank is small 1.5FT 10gallons only, i use a small internal filter. Resun magi200 5w 200L/hr
it has a sponge and a compartment for some seachem matrix. i guess CR rings are too big to fit in.
it also has a spray bar which helps to reduce strong water current which these frogs do not like.

there are also mini-canisters for small tanks like Eden501 and ShirubaX303, Boyu and Resun too has a mini-canister which looks the same. about 200-300L.hr

check them out for small tanks.

frogman

Reaction score
I use a Zoo Med turtle clean 501 canister filter. It works very well :D

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

i have a few questions regarding ACF

1) i read that ACF hates strong virbations from powerful pumps and water current. is this true?

i found a internal filter call aquaspeed. it is only 1.2watts. i think the flow is about 100-150L/hr and it comes with a spray bar.
i load it with black sponge and seachem matrix and carbon. it is very slient.
i am now using it for my small 1.5ft ACF tank.

2) Can ACF tolerate 27-28c? because i read that they prefer higher temps than most newts and can take it up to 30c degrees.

there is the link below
Introduced Species Summary Project - Xenopus laevis

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!