What kind of newt / habitat suggestions!

islandtime0317

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

A long time ago I got 5 newts from the pet store... they were sold as "oregon newts". Most died after a few years but I still have one that is getting close to 15 years old. He is in a 30 g cube tank with a filter, a ornament that he can climb onto to get out of the water, and a few live plants. He gets fed bloodworms twice a week.

Wondering if it truely is an Oregon Newt, and if so what is their life expectancy?

Is there anything I should do to improve his habitat?

Attachments

• IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 4,309
  • IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 512
Yes, it´s a Taricha granulosa.
You should get rid of the gravel, it can be ingested accidentally, causing trouble, plus it traps lots of debris.
If you want a substrate, very fine silica sand is best, but you can also go bare bottom which makes feeding and cleaning very easy.
The diet is terribly incomplete, i´m surprise its lasted for so long on a diet of bloodworms with no ill effects. I expect your water must be really hard.
Try offering earthworms, those are nutritionally complete and are an excellent staple. For variety you can offer the bloodworms, waxworms, blackworms, fres-water crustaceans, isopods, small crickets, small slugs, specially formulated pellets...

I would also recommend adding lots more live plants and increasing the water volume. The tank dimensions are not ideal, but you should still take advantage of as much volume as possible since the more water, the more chemically and thermally stable it is.

You can keep t. grans terrestrial if you want to. That's a male by the way. I haven't ever heard them called Oregon newt, but its a T. Grans none the less, usually called rough skinned newt. Their native to WA, OR, CAL and BC. Earthworms work great with this species. I dont know what their life expectancy in captivity but my guess is hes getting pretty old. Also i would put a float in there for him to get out on. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back