Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What kind of salamander is this?

chickyboom

Reaction score
Hello I am new here and was hoping I could get some help on finding out what kind of salamander I have. I have just rescued it a few days ago from someone who wasn't taking care of it very well and they only had it in a really small cage with water only and said they were told it lived its whole life in water but I am not sure about that. I have set him up in a 10 gallon now and is half water with some rocks he can get out of and it seems he is likes to be out of the water. I really hope to find out what kind it is maybe its a tiger salamander but not sure, I have been researching on the internet but still not really sure so if any one could please let me know I would really appreciate the help. Thanks so much.:happy:

Attachments

• salamander2.jpg
    salamander2.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 199

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
That picture is not very clear but it does look like a tiger ... Can you get a better pic?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s a tiger salamander, possibly (and this is an extremely tentative ID by someone who is not competent with this genus) an Ambystoma mavortium diaboli.
They are strictly terrestrial (outside of the brief breeding season) and they can in fact drown, so you need to completely change its set-up. It needs several inches of adequate substrate (half compost, half shredder coconut is the usual mix), several hides for it to choose and a small, shallow water dish.
You can find more information in the links in my signature as well as hundreds of threads throughout the forums that specifically discuss this species.

chickyboom

Reaction score
I was reading all about the tiger ones and was thinking to myself if that what it was then I felt even more bad for the little fellow. The conditions he was in he could only hold his head. I am so glad I rescued him or her. I am going to do everything I can to make him the perfect home now. Thank you so very much for your help I really appreciate it.

chickyboom

Reaction score
It´s a tiger salamander, possibly (and this is an extremely tentative ID by someone who is not competent with this genus) an Ambystoma mavortium diaboli.
They are strictly terrestrial (outside of the brief breeding season) and they can in fact drown, so you need to completely change its set-up. It needs several inches of adequate substrate (half compost, half shredder coconut is the usual mix), several hides for it to choose and a small, shallow water dish.
You can find more information in the links in my signature as well as hundreds of threads throughout the forums that specifically discuss this species.

Thank you for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!