Question: What kind of sand?

Noey Hart

New member
Joined
May 26, 2014
Messages
57
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Country
Belgium
Hi everyone,
I am going to start using sand for my future tank and I was wondering what kind of sand should I use. Can I use the same sand as my chinchilla's? Or sand for reptiles? Is any kind of sand okay as long as it is thin?
I would like some advices, sorry if that's a stupid question!
 
You need sand that is both fine and smooth, play sand for childrens' sand pit is usually recommended.
Avoid building sand as it tends to be rough, and some aquarium sands are also jagged as they have been created for surface area (for bacterial growth) rather than anything else.
 
Actually just seen an old post here about chinchilla sand and apparently it's way too fine, so thank you for answering I will get playsand then :)
 
Also avoid reptile sand - it is often made with calcium compound or has added calcium, since most geckos, etc. need more calcium than their diet provides and they tend to ingest small amounts of sand from time to time.
The calcium will screw around with your water chemistry. Possibly if you have very soft water where you live this will be fine, but its not worth taking the risk, in my opinion.

Make sure the sand is silica sand, vs. calcium carbonate or something else. I got the "Super Naturals" brand of aquarium sand, it is very fine silica, and has worked well for me.
 
Okay thank you I will try to find that! The only sands I can get here are chinchilla sand, reptile sand or fish sand :/
Axolotls aren't that popular here
 
Check your local hardware store. There's no need to buy the sand from a pet store as you'll probably find it a lot cheaper elsewhere. I have the kind of sand they use in sandblasting, it's super soft and smooth.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top