Question: What newt to get...?

Lazmarr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some of you are aware I have been looking after a fire belly newt for a friend of mine and have so far really enjoyed it; especially the landscaping part and balancing out the water quality :D
Some of my local newt breeders have just put up for sale a pair of Axolotls and I am wondering what it would be like, in comparison to the chinese fire belly, to get and create an enclosure for them.
I like the idea of terestrial and aquatic newts, land and water worlds, so my question is are they terestrial or aquatic only or both and would I be looking for a different kind of newt if they are aquatic only? If so what types of newt would you recommend?
Regards :)

As some of you are aware I have been looking after a fire belly newt for a friend of mine and have so far really enjoyed it; especially the landscaping part and balancing out the water quality :D
Some of my local newt breeders have just put up for sale a pair of Axolotls and I am wondering what it would be like, in comparison to the chinese fire belly, to get and create an enclosure for them.
I like the idea of terestrial and aquatic newts, land and water worlds, so my question is are they terestrial or aquatic only or both and would I be looking for a different kind of newt if they are aquatic only? If so what types of newt would you recommend?
Regards :)
Axolotls and Firebelly Newts are totally different. Axolotls are fully aquatic salamanders which will need a full aqua setup similar to fish. They'll need a filter of some sort also. And similar to newts they require cool temperatures.

If you want best of both worlds you have many options. Especially being the UK there's tons of available species to you. Meaning there are lots of breeders in Europe. There are many species of newts that transition from land and go back into the water to breed annually. Perfect example are Crested Newts. Many species of crested newts like Green Marbled Newts or the Smooth Newt will be terrestrial for 8-9 months out of they year. In spring they'll go aquatic to mate and may remain aquatic for 2-3 months.

Here is a list of a few species that will be terrestrial and aquatic at times. Though some of these will need a more advanced skill level. These recommendations are just to give you an idea of what's out there.

Triturus cristatus
Triturus carnifex
Triturus marmoratus
Lissotriton vulgaris
Lissotriton montidoni
Itchyosoura alpestris
Ommatotriton ophryticus

Axolotls and Firebelly Newts are totally different. Axolotls are fully aquatic salamanders which will need a full aqua setup similar to fish. They'll need a filter of some sort also. And similar to newts they require cool temperatures.

If you want best of both worlds you have many options. Especially being the UK there's tons of available species to you. Meaning there are lots of breeders in Europe. There are many species of newts that transition from land and go back into the water to breed annually. Perfect example are Crested Newts. Many species of crested newts like Green Marbled Newts or the Smooth Newt will be terrestrial for 8-9 months out of they year. In spring they'll go aquatic to mate and may remain aquatic for 2-3 months.

Here is a list of a few species that will be terrestrial and aquatic at times. Though some of these will need a more advanced skill level. These recommendations are just to give you an idea of what's out there.

Triturus cristatus
Triturus carnifex
Triturus marmoratus
Lissotriton vulgaris
Lissotriton montidoni
Itchyosoura alpestris
Ommatotriton ophryticus
Thank you for this list :)
I really like the looks of the Italian Alpine Newt; however I have a really tough choice, the breeders have both the Alpine Newts as well as Japanese Fire Belly Newts :S
Which would you suggest to go for? :confused:

Japanese fire-bellies will stay aquatic forever once they are adults. If you want something fully aquatic, go for the JFBN, if not, then the European newts will be just fine :happy:

Both of the species have been kept fully aquatic year round without issues. Alpine a can be kept in a terrestrial setup but if given the option in a 50/50 tank will probably lean towards one area, thus becoming a waste of space.
I think you should take a look at the temperature range that you can achieve; C. pyrrhogaster can be kept in slightly warmer temps than Alpine newt species I believe.

Also, what foods can you easily supply? If you can do aquatic foods, look for aquatic species, and vice versa

Both of the species have been kept fully aquatic year round without issues. Alpine a can be kept in a terrestrial setup but if given the option in a 50/50 tank will probably lean towards one area, thus becoming a waste of space.
I think you should take a look at the temperature range that you can achieve; C. pyrrhogaster can be kept in slightly warmer temps than Alpine newt species I believe.
Also, what foods can you easily supply? If you can do aquatic foods, look for aquatic species, and vice versa
Temperature isn't of any issue :) My room is particularly stable ttemperature wise all year round :)
Food is of no issue either since I have both an awuatic store as well as a reptile store near me and regularly stock up on crickets, locusts and wax worms to feed my two bearded dragons as well as being able to buy blood worms :)
Side note, what is the difference between [SIZE=-1]Ichthyosaura alpestris apuana (Italian Alpine Newt) and [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Ichthyosaura alpestris alpestri (Alpine Newt)?[/SIZE]

They are just different subspecies. I. a apuanus are a little smaller than I. a alpestris and are more inclined to stay in the water all year round.

They are just different subspecies. I. a apuanus are a little smaller than I. a alpestris and are more inclined to stay in the water all year round.
Thank you. So they don't have completely different colours or anything that makes them stand out from each other? I just thought I'd ask since I couldn't really find any pictures of each specific type, only stock photos of the apuana type on google :S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back