Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What race of C. pyrrhogaster is this?

babamba

Reaction score
this was sent to me by a breeder, but it is unlike any i've seen. i do know that the parents were different races, and i think this one may be Atsumi.

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

H

henk

I have seen many different Cynops already, none like this though. The Atsumi race would be doubtfull I think , since they seem to be extinct (for as far as I am concerned). Why not ask your breeder ?

The red fins on the tail are unusual, also the lateral row of white-yellowish dots ?? do you have an image of the belly pattern or does it come close to Sasayame race..

Anyway whatever it turns out ot be, it 's a nice animal

babamba

Reaction score
the belly is similar to Sasayame. i only have three of the ones form that breeder, one appears to be normal Sasayme and the other one is starting to develop this coloring, too.

N

nate

I have a few pyrrhogaster juveniles with the red edges on the tail and the red spots along the flanks as well as a dull, orange-yellow vertebral stripe that is fading to yellow-beige as they grow older. Very nice animals. They were also sent to me from a breeder and the parents were mixed races. From all I've read on the subject and also from talking to Japanese hobbyists, it's pointless to seriously try to determine the race of a pyrrho unless you have locality data because color patterns typical of a certain race often show up in areas where other races occur. A real muddled situation.

H

henk

Yes Nate, you are correct for what concerns coloration. But some of the races (should) have typical behaviour patterns : Atsumi and Kanto have this.

Juvenile Cynops p. are mostly showing red coloration in the flanks and upper dorsal ridge.
This will disappear as they grow larger. 2 years ago I have been able to control a fresh import of Cynops P. in which I checked over 1.000 animals (if not the double)and I mad shots on all the different colorpatterns (a nice slide collection)and apart form that I have also been sending pictures of Japanese animals with range of occurence

The Sasayme race in fact has something typical that other races (almost)don't have :they have guanophores occurring on top of the black patterns on the belly.

Knowing which race you have may be more important then one thinks since some are not crossbreeding (sexual isolation mechanisms) through different mating strategy or simply due to a different period of reproduction (males active when females are not and vice versa). There's one race where the females develop eggs quite late, so if having them together with other males this might result in unfertilised eggs...

I need to restudy my literature on this topic since I intend to reactualise my 'Tales on Asian tails' story and when I get a (good !) slide scanner I will put it all on CDROM

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!