Question: What should i feed to vary my newts diet?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi guys.

So what can I feed to very my newts diet. I am feeding chopped earthworms right now, but i don't know what i can feed to very their diet? They don't eat the snail i have in the tank. I have tried chopped mealworms, but they don't like them. I have tried chopped grubs ( that was gross! ) but they didn't eat them much either. So what can i feed them to very their diet?

Thanks!!!

-Seth

Re: What should i feed to very my newts diet?

Bloodworms, Blackworms, Whiteworms, Mosquito Larvae, etc

I feed my newts earthworms as a staple so I know their basic dietary needs are being met, anything else i give them is for a treat really. I feed them frozen bloodworms, live Mosquito larvae, gray slugs, maggots, small snails (with their shells crushed first), woodlice, anything I think they'll enjoy. Experiment and see what they like!

I feed my newts earthworms as a staple so I know their basic dietary needs are being met, anything else i give them is for a treat really. I feed them frozen bloodworms, live Mosquito larvae, gray slugs, maggots, small snails (with their shells crushed first), woodlice, anything I think they'll enjoy. Experiment and see what they like!
I wanna try mosquito larvae but i feel like they aren't gonna eat it all and then im gonna have mosquitos in my room

Bloodworms, Blackworms, Whiteworms, Mosquito Larvae, etc

They wont touch it if it is not moving, so I will have to see if I can find some that are live. I doubt they would touch mosquito larvae, they seem like picky eaters :(

I feed earthworms and nightcrawlers as the staple. I really haven't fed anything else, and I know it is good to very the diet that is why I asked. I don't think they would like frozen bloodworms, they like live pray. Slugs might work. Same for snails, but from past experiences I have found that maggots/grubs aren't much liked. I don't think that woodlice would work, because they are in a mostly aquatic setup, they would just crawl off the float and drown :/

I will try snails and slugs, and look into the worms Aaron said, see if my petshop has them live ( I doubt they do though, they have nothing ).

Thanks guys! -Seth

They wont touch it if it is not moving, so I will have to see if I can find some that are live. I doubt they would touch mosquito larvae, they seem like picky eaters :(

I feed earthworms and nightcrawlers as the staple. I really haven't fed anything else, and I know it is good to very the diet that is why I asked. I don't think they would like frozen bloodworms, they like live pray. Slugs might work. Same for snails, but from past experiences I have found that maggots/grubs aren't much liked. I don't think that woodlice would work, because they are in a mostly aquatic setup, they would just crawl off the float and drown :/

I will try snails and slugs, and look into the worms Aaron said, see if my petshop has them live ( I doubt they do though, they have nothing ).

Thanks guys! -Seth
You can buy Whiteworms in the FS section

Do you have black/tubifex worms available where you're at? I feed my newts these and earthworms as their staple. I'll also feed daphnia sometimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back