Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What should i feed to vary my newts diet?

sde

Reaction score
Hi guys.

So what can I feed to very my newts diet. I am feeding chopped earthworms right now, but i don't know what i can feed to very their diet? They don't eat the snail i have in the tank. I have tried chopped mealworms, but they don't like them. I have tried chopped grubs ( that was gross! ) but they didn't eat them much either. So what can i feed them to very their diet?

Thanks!!!

-Seth

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Re: What should i feed to very my newts diet?

Bloodworms, Blackworms, Whiteworms, Mosquito Larvae, etc

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I feed my newts earthworms as a staple so I know their basic dietary needs are being met, anything else i give them is for a treat really. I feed them frozen bloodworms, live Mosquito larvae, gray slugs, maggots, small snails (with their shells crushed first), woodlice, anything I think they'll enjoy. Experiment and see what they like!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score

I feed my newts earthworms as a staple so I know their basic dietary needs are being met, anything else i give them is for a treat really. I feed them frozen bloodworms, live Mosquito larvae, gray slugs, maggots, small snails (with their shells crushed first), woodlice, anything I think they'll enjoy. Experiment and see what they like!
I wanna try mosquito larvae but i feel like they aren't gonna eat it all and then im gonna have mosquitos in my room

sde

Reaction score

Bloodworms, Blackworms, Whiteworms, Mosquito Larvae, etc

They wont touch it if it is not moving, so I will have to see if I can find some that are live. I doubt they would touch mosquito larvae, they seem like picky eaters :(

I feed earthworms and nightcrawlers as the staple. I really haven't fed anything else, and I know it is good to very the diet that is why I asked. I don't think they would like frozen bloodworms, they like live pray. Slugs might work. Same for snails, but from past experiences I have found that maggots/grubs aren't much liked. I don't think that woodlice would work, because they are in a mostly aquatic setup, they would just crawl off the float and drown :/

I will try snails and slugs, and look into the worms Aaron said, see if my petshop has them live ( I doubt they do though, they have nothing ).

Thanks guys! -Seth

Asevernnnn

Reaction score

They wont touch it if it is not moving, so I will have to see if I can find some that are live. I doubt they would touch mosquito larvae, they seem like picky eaters :(

I feed earthworms and nightcrawlers as the staple. I really haven't fed anything else, and I know it is good to very the diet that is why I asked. I don't think they would like frozen bloodworms, they like live pray. Slugs might work. Same for snails, but from past experiences I have found that maggots/grubs aren't much liked. I don't think that woodlice would work, because they are in a mostly aquatic setup, they would just crawl off the float and drown :/

I will try snails and slugs, and look into the worms Aaron said, see if my petshop has them live ( I doubt they do though, they have nothing ).

Thanks guys! -Seth
You can buy Whiteworms in the FS section

stanleyc

Reaction score
Do you have black/tubifex worms available where you're at? I feed my newts these and earthworms as their staple. I'll also feed daphnia sometimes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!