What species is this?

Lauruven

Reaction score
Country
United States
20200417_101657.jpg

Found in CT, US

It’s a red backed salamander, Plethodon cinereus- “lead backed” color phase.

It’s a red backed salamander, Plethodon cinereus- “lead backed” color phase.
Oh cool thought it might been something else cuza speckles. I live now in same house I grew up in and there is a brook that cuts thru the yard. When I was a kid we used to find salamanders like crazy & about 6 years ago when I started bringing my daughter down to it to look for salamanders the great decline became apparent to me. Since then I've been almost obsessed with the preservation of them and fieldworking in the woods behind my house where the brook also cuts thru trying to find maybe a niche of them. Sadly so far it's been difficult to find them unlike when I was a kid. There still here just not like in the numbers they once used to be at. I'd love to meet up with some local people who do the same and go searching for any kind of salamander and get more knowledge and experience in fieldherping

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back