Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What state has the biggest diversity of salamanders and newts?

Snakes0415

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what state has the biggest diversity of salamanders and newts. I mainly wanna know so I can plan my next vacation there lol. So if some one could help me out that'd be great!

Vern5384

Reaction score
Pretty sure you want to go to western NC. PM me if you do and I can help you out with some tips.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Tennessee and South Carolina tie with 57, Virginia is 4th with 51, Georgia in 3rd with 55.

With the addition of subspecies and splits, Arkansas will probably jump to about 50 and California from 44 to about 100. Many species in many genera have splits or undescribed species pending, including species in all of the top 11 states [Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, California, Texas].

I did not review all states, only those associated with the more diverse portions of the Appalachian uplift, and the escarpments they connect to in Texas.
CNAH: The Center for North American Herpetology

sde

Reaction score
If you like reptile as well, then I think that Alabama has the most combined. I am unsure of exactly how accurate this is, but according to a book that was published in the 80's there are about 134 species of reptile and amphibian combined in Alabama. -Seth

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Georgia tops that list as well, at 170, with California a close second at 165. However, even adding just the undescribed salamanders pushes California to close to 250. There are many species pending revision or upgrade. These will only increase a state count when more than one occurs in a given state [Such as prairie and northern ringneck snakes in Minnesota]. Count on many state counts increasing, especially California. Note for instance the recent recognition of two species of western pond turtle, two species of rubber boa, two species of rosy boa, granite/sandstone night lizards, Sierra/coast newts, long- and short-tailed sharptail snakes, four additional legless lizards, the pending three-way split of California tiger salamanders, a three-way split for California ringnecks, etc. Florida's count is 'only' 146, but that state has well over 100 introduced herps, many documented as breeding. It also has undescribed snakes, sirens, dusky salamanders, possibly worm lizards, etc. I doubt they'll beat CA.

sde

Reaction score
Georgia tops that list as well, at 170, with California a close second at 165. However, even adding just the undescribed salamanders pushes California to close to 250. There are many species pending revision or upgrade. These will only increase a state count when more than one occurs in a given state [Such as prairie and northern ringneck snakes in Minnesota]. Count on many state counts increasing, especially California. Note for instance the recent recognition of two species of western pond turtle, two species of rubber boa, two species of rosy boa, granite/sandstone night lizards, Sierra/coast newts, long- and short-tailed sharptail snakes, four additional legless lizards, the pending three-way split of California tiger salamanders, a three-way split for California ringnecks, etc. Florida's count is 'only' 146, but that state has well over 100 introduced herps, many documented as breeding. It also has undescribed snakes, sirens, dusky salamanders, possibly worm lizards, etc. I doubt they'll beat CA.

Whoao?! Rubber boa's are now two species? As well as California tigersbecoming three species? I didn't know about that!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1