Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What time of year are newts more commonly sold?

Bubbs050

Reaction score
Ive been searching around for about a month now and havnt been able to find any breeders selling juvenile or adult newts. The online ripoffs dont even have them! Ive never owned newts, just looking for some info on when theyre around.
Thanks!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Lots of eggs are laid in the winter and spring. Lots of juveniles are available in late summer and fall. Newts are available year round. It takes a little work searching. I keep an eye on what is offered on caudata.org, faunaclassifieds, and kingsnake.com. I try to purchase c.b. Their are lots of facebook groups that offer newts for sale. Since it is against facebook policy to offer animals for sale people use inventive ways to post what they have for sale. Caudata.org is a good place to start looking for available salamanders.

Bubbs050

Reaction score
Lots of eggs are laid in the winter and spring. Lots of juveniles are available in late summer and fall. Newts are available year round. It takes a little work searching. I keep an eye on what is offered on caudata.org, faunaclassifieds, and kingsnake.com. I try to purchase c.b. Their are lots of facebook groups that offer newts for sale. Since it is against facebook policy to offer animals for sale people use inventive ways to post what they have for sale. Caudata.org is a good place to start looking for available salamanders.
Thanks you for the response, I will definitely be purchasing cb and am now using all the websites you suggested lol

aduarte

Reaction score
We have some for sale. All colors and are 4-5 months old, if you are interested. You can find us on facebook Rustic Home Axolotls and on our website rustichomeaxolotls.com We breed them ourselves and take really good care of them.

Viking

Reaction score
It depends on the species. They usually take 3 - 6 months to morpl and be shipped. I would suggest that you research you are thinking about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1