Photo: What type of newt is this?

Bill R Newton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello hello!:happy:

My friend and I have been cleaning out a local creek and we have stumbled upon several newts that look like this. It appears to be black/grey with spots, but when you look at it in better light jit looks more brown. What do you think this could be? If it helps figure out the type we live in North Carolina. Im so sorry for the picture being big, I'm new and still figuring things out!

The newt:

Oh, and excuse my hands please, they got quite dirty while creek cleaning!

Looks like some kind of a dusky salamander to me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Definitely not a true newt, (Member of the Salamandridae family) it seems to be a Desmognathus species, which is a genus in the Plethodontid family. I personally have no clue of the actual species though, you may get a better ID on Inaturalist, it is a respectable site, with many experts who might be able to help. Here's a few helpful links: Genus Desmognathus · iNaturalist.org A Community for Naturalists · iNaturalist.org

I'm thinking it is some sort of dusky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back