What Will My Slimy Salamander Eat?!

valia

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my slimy salamander, named Night Fury, for a couple weeks now, and I have tried several types of food for him, including dried flies from the pet store, small live earthworms, and baby slugs. I've tried feeding him straight from a pair of tweezers with no luck, so now I just place the food in his tank and hope he eats it. So far, it looks like he might have eaten a baby slug, but none of the other foods. What will he definitely eat? Thank you! Here's a pic of my cutie!
IMG_20200603_164345863.jpg

Basically small worms, or cut up night crawlers; pill bugs, small insects you might find in its environment, or small bugs and worms that you can cultivate or buy.

Basically small worms, or cut up night crawlers; pill bugs, small insects you might find in its environment, or small bugs and worms that you can cultivate or buy.
He finally took a couple bites of a smallish slug the other day! So now I now he will defintely eat slugs, I just gotta find small enough ones that he will eat in one sitting.

Tiny live prey- I would suggest fruit flies and bean beetles, which are easy to culture at home. Tiny crickets, earthworms, and isopods will probably be eaten as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back