What's killing my Notos?

jbaker8484

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been having problems with my Notophthalmus viridescens dying on me over the past year. It all happens the same way.

First, I notice strange gunk stuff clinging to their legs and body. It kind of looks like they are shedding, but it never goes away. I can see the newts trying to bite the stuff off but it always comes back.

Second, the newts start to float around. I rarely see my newts floating. But these newts will float around on the surface and barely move.

Finally they seem to just wither away and die.

I originally had 3 wild caught newts. One of them never did too well, was always skinny. This one broke it's tail and had the above symptoms, died eventually. Unfortunate, but I didn't think too much it at the time.

Later I bought 3 more eastern newts from a reptile store in Berkeley. I think these were a different regional variant, different coloring.

2 of the new newts died and one of the original newts died within a couple weeks, leaving me with one original newt and one new newt.

The remaining new newt was doing fine for several months but randomly started experiencing the symptoms I described and died within a week.

Now I'm down to one of the original newts, a large and healthy male.

Any ideas what is going on here? After all of this I'm really hesitant to buy another newt.

My tank seems plenty healthy, good ammonia and nitrate levels, lots of plants, some driftwood, average about a 30% water change twice a week. The water PH here is like 8.2+ if that matters. All of this happened over the winter and spring when the water temperature hovered around 65 degrees. 30 gallon tank, pretty low bioload.

I'm not sure what to tell you but you can explore the links in my sig and read about the care of health issues (Care Articles).

I would say the ph is too high for Notos isn't it? They seem to do best in aquariums where the water contains oak leaves, woodland pools with rotting leaves would be slightly acidic if anything I'd have thought. If the oak leaves aren't used these newts tend to to do badly and suffer fungal infections, or even just die one by one over a period of weeks.

I've had a tank of notos since I got into the hobby. I don't have any oak leaves in it and they do pretty well in there.

I've had a tank of notos since I got into the hobby. I don't have any oak leaves in it and they do pretty well in there.

Just curious, whats your ph and hardness usually? Any driftwood or live plants?

So I took a PH test on my tank. I did a 40% water change about 10 days ago. It's sitting around 7.9. I did a PH test on my tap water and it's at 8.3. So whatever driftwood I have in my tank is making a big difference.
With this knowledge, I'm assuming that big water changes are a bad idea since they will throw off the ph a bunch? I have a tendency to do big water changes instead of smaller ones.

If the high PH is going to be such an issue for eastern newts, then I'm wondering if it's even practical to have them while I'm living here. That said there is another member on here from my same town and he seems to be caring for lots of newts with no problems.

I'm definitely going to start using oak leaves. We have plenty around here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back