Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats the easiest species to breed? Again........

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

so I know that this has come up in the past but I wanted to do it again because I REALLY want to breed a species and am thinking of maybe getting some new newts.
Anyway, what is you opinion on the easiest species to breed? P. walti? A. mexicanum? C. orientalis? Or a different species?

What do you think is the easiest???

-Seth

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Hi all,

so I know that this has come up in the past but I wanted to do it again because I REALLY want to breed a species and am thinking of maybe getting some new newts.
Anyway, what is you opinion on the easiest species to breed? P. walti? A. mexicanum? C. orientalis? Or a different species?

What do you think is the easiest???

-Seth

Well, H. orientalis is pretty easy to breed, ive had mine for a month, and theyre layin eggs, and from what ive heard, P. waltl is also pretty easy to breed. But you wound want CB H. orientalis

sde

Reaction score
Well, H. orientalis is pretty easy to breed, ive had mine for a month, and theyre layin eggs, and from what ive heard, P. waltl is also pretty easy to breed. But you wound want CB H. orientalis

Ok, thanks. And yes, I agree, I would want CB, don't want to support WC animals being taken from the wild and sold!

I find T. Marmoratus and H. Orientalis the easiest te breed

Yes! I was hoping someone would say T. marmoratus! I love them and want them so bad.
I personally don't have much interest in H. orientalis, no offense. They are just do dang small for my liking, I have always been a fan of big newts :blob:

Thanks guys!

Any others got opinions?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
H.orientalis is very easy to breed but not so easy to raise.
P.waltl is extremely easy by all accounts...the adults breed effortlessly, the larvae can even be fed on pellets after a certain size and the juvies are big and voracious.
T.verrucosus falls into a similar category.
The problem with Triturus, from my point of view is that their larvae can be highly cannibalistic and agressive and individual housing might be required.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If we provide optimal conditions and the correct seasonal changes most commonly kept species will breed readily in captivity. There are still some species that are considered difficult to breed like Pachytriton, but I would guess it's because the conditions we provide are slightly below optimal or there is a specific trigger that we just haven't found yet.
In my opinion getting adults to breed is only half the story, the other half is raising the babies to maturity. Cynops/Hypselotriton are easy to breed but not that many people do because the morphs are very small, quite shy and can take years to mature, whereas many Triturus newts are also easy to breed but the young are quite bold and can be mature inside a year!

stijnzeger

Reaction score
Azhael, what is so difficult at raising H. Orientalis in compared with other species ?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chinadog has mentioned the basics of it. The morphs can be really tiny and they often go through a terrestrial phase which can be short, but frequently quite extended. They require tiny live foods, or individual tweezer feeding and they take a long time to grow.
Compared to other species with much larger, fully aquatic juveniles they are a bit of a pain. It´s not that they are "so difficult" it´s that they require some effort whereas other species really don´t...they raise themselves xD

Last edited:

stijnzeger

Reaction score
Ooh okay, i understand. And have to agree with you. But i find it fun to raise them, just because they need that little extra effort.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dobros are the easiest thing I've ever bred, that and carnifex. Pretty much any Triturus I've ever had has bred easily. Effortlessly.

sde

Reaction score
Dobros are the easiest thing I've ever bred, that and carnifex. Pretty much any Triturus I've ever had has bred easily. Effortlessly.

Crested newts are also ones I have been thinking about, but I think I have pretty much narrowed it down to two species: P. walti and T. mamoratus. They are nice sized, are easy to keep it would seem ( true? ) and are easy to breed and also fit my temp range very well!

But by all means, keep on saying what you think is the easiest! I want to hear all the opinions and then "tally" up the results and see what species came in first second and third.

Keep it coming! :D

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Crested newts are also ones I have been thinking about, but I think I have pretty much narrowed it down to two species: P. walti and T. mamoratus. They are nice sized, are easy to keep it would seem ( true? ) and are easy to breed and also fit my temp range very well!

But by all means, keep on saying what you think is the easiest! I want to hear all the opinions and then "tally" up the results and see what species came in first second and third.

Keep it coming! :D

waltl*, and I find mine quite entertaining when they eat, or mine just eat awkwardly lol

frogman

Reaction score
Waltl are a good choice, I have really enjoyed breeding them. Waltl are also readily available and decently priced if you get them as juveniles. Marms on the other hand are not as easy to acquire and are more expensive. If you are truly looking for a first breeding project, I highly suggest axolotls. They are loads of fun to keep and very easy to breed. They are also readily available and can be very inexpensive if purchased as juveniles. I bred axolotls for about a year and it was very rewarding but labor intensive for a first time breeder.

sde

Reaction score
waltl*, and I find mine quite entertaining when they eat, or mine just eat awkwardly lol

Heh heh, sorry, I honestly didn't know it was waltl! Now I have to figure out how to pronounce that :rolleyes:

Waltl are a good choice, I have really enjoyed breeding them. Waltl are also readily available and decently priced if you get them as juveniles. Marms on the other hand are not as easy to acquire and are more expensive. If you are truly looking for a first breeding project, I highly suggest axolotls. They are loads of fun to keep and very easy to breed. They are also readily available and can be very inexpensive if purchased as juveniles. I bred axolotls for about a year and it was very rewarding but labor intensive for a first time breeder.

Ok thanks for the price info man.

Also, i would get lotls except that i honestly don't have that much of a interest in them call me crazy, but true. So i think i will probably go with waltl if I end up getting some.

Thanks everyone, but I am still up for more opinions :D

-Seth

sde

Reaction score
Ok!

So, these are the totals for all the species that were mentioned in all the threads I could find about the easiest species to breed. So, basically, this is the final tally.

P. waltl: 8 votes.
H. orientalis: 7 votes.
A. mexicanum: 4 votes
H. cyanurus: 3 votes.
T. verrucosus: 2 votes.
Triturus family: 2 votes.
T. karelinii: 1 vote.
T. mramoratus: 1 vote.
T. dobrogicus: 1 vote.
T. carnifex: 1 vote.
I. a. apuana: 1 vote.
I. alpestris: 1 vote.
T. granulosa: 1 vote.
P. chinensis: 1 vote.

I honestly cant believe T. granulosa got in there? huh, cool.

Anyway, this is the final number of 'votes' given by users over the years in various threads.

So are winner is P waltl! With a close second to H. orientalis, And a not so close third to A. mexicanum.

There you have it folks, P. waltl is the easiest species to breed according to Caudata.org members.

-Seth

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you added together the votes for all types of crested newts, it's 6 votes. And I add my votes for crested newts and P. waltl. I suspect there are lots more votes for axolotls, and certainly lots of axolotl forum threads about "I didn't want them to breed, but now I have 500 eggs" and such like.

sde

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!