What's up with this guy?

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
One of my juvies has got no red spots, thought all of the possible parents have got them. Don't mind though, but I wonder if this happens often. All parent are WC animals btw. Check this bugger out:
IMG_4846.jpg

He's got a bit of a belly, but I like to keep my growing animals well fed.

Weird. I've never seen an adult without the predominant red spots on their sides. Perhaps its just a strange colour mutation or lack of pigmentation. Its quite beautiful. I wouldn't mind to have one that looked like yours. Good luck with him.

I've seen many N.v.viridescens with no spots. Especially N.v.louisianensis.

His chunk belly is most pleasing. Quite an appetite on that little guy :D

I know that louisianensis has a lack of spots, but my animals aren't louisianensis for as far as I know. Maybe the result of hybridisation in the wild, though I don't know if both species meet eachother in the wild. I'm no expert, I just keep, love and cherrish them.:eek:

As far as I know, there's little to no genetic variation found between subspecies. (There's probably a little bit, but it can be hard to find especially when no one is really looking). Generally, though, the most widespread subspecies will tend to have the most genetic variation. So I suspect this guy is just an example of the variation that can show up in N. viridescens.

I know I get a range of very stripey and very spotty individuals with my guys (none with no spots yet, unfortunately.) He's very pretty... and chubby :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back