Question: When are bbs too small for axolotl larvae and what food next

nina89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is my first batch of eggs and its now been 1 week since hatching and they are all living fine off bbs. but i was wonder what foods to start introducing and when, I have no idea at all, please help. And also when should i stop feeding them bbs?

I think the norm is bloodworms when they get big enough. You could try egg yolk :) (I guess you have read my experiment)

I'm also totally new to this baby lark but I dont seem to be having too many troubles right now.
After about 2 weeks I started ading in live daphnia as well as the bbs. I stopped adding the bbs once i was waking up in the morning and finding no daph left. Went like that for a week or so and am now adding Daph and bloodworm. I started on the frozen route but have more success with live. They are starting to stalk it now just like Juan :love: I'll go back to frozen in a while.
Its great watching them turn from something that just sits there and waits for food to pass by to a minature grown up (that doesnt make sense but you know what i mean :D )

I'm sure someone who has been doing it a while will chime in soon..Melfly has great succcess in raising babies...In my mind she is like an axolotl midwife and pediatrician

I'm sure someone who has been doing it a while will chime in soon..Melfly has great succcess in raising babies...In my mind she is like an axolotl midwife and pediatrician

Aww thank you, thats so nice!

I agree with femme. Just try them and see. I've had them as young as 5 weeks on frozen and about 6 weeks taking pellets. I do however keep feeding bbs for a bit, just mixing frozen with it. Like a weaning process. (some will move on quicker than others)

Theres no real age or size rule, just when they will accept it, or actively sniff it out.

As a guide I would say once they have front legs they 'should' be able to sniff out food.

Hope some of this helps! :D
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back