Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When are bbs too small for axolotl larvae and what food next

nina89

Reaction score
This is my first batch of eggs and its now been 1 week since hatching and they are all living fine off bbs. but i was wonder what foods to start introducing and when, I have no idea at all, please help. And also when should i stop feeding them bbs?

Danni

Reaction score
I think the norm is bloodworms when they get big enough. You could try egg yolk :) (I guess you have read my experiment)

femme

Reaction score
I'm also totally new to this baby lark but I dont seem to be having too many troubles right now.
After about 2 weeks I started ading in live daphnia as well as the bbs. I stopped adding the bbs once i was waking up in the morning and finding no daph left. Went like that for a week or so and am now adding Daph and bloodworm. I started on the frozen route but have more success with live. They are starting to stalk it now just like Juan :love: I'll go back to frozen in a while.
Its great watching them turn from something that just sits there and waits for food to pass by to a minature grown up (that doesnt make sense but you know what i mean :D )

I'm sure someone who has been doing it a while will chime in soon..Melfly has great succcess in raising babies...In my mind she is like an axolotl midwife and pediatrician

melfly

Reaction score
I'm sure someone who has been doing it a while will chime in soon..Melfly has great succcess in raising babies...In my mind she is like an axolotl midwife and pediatrician

Aww thank you, thats so nice!

I agree with femme. Just try them and see. I've had them as young as 5 weeks on frozen and about 6 weeks taking pellets. I do however keep feeding bbs for a bit, just mixing frozen with it. Like a weaning process. (some will move on quicker than others)

Theres no real age or size rule, just when they will accept it, or actively sniff it out.

As a guide I would say once they have front legs they 'should' be able to sniff out food.

Hope some of this helps! :D
Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!