Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: When to move from water to land?

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
I have a group of 5 baby marbled newts and have them set up in a tub with water and a fake plant and log for them to get out of the water when thet want. They mostly stay up on the plant (and one loves to scale the side of the tub haha) and I wondered when it would be good to set them up in a more terrestrial setup. Or maybe even a setup with half land and half water? I want to do sometging more natural looking but all I have is a 20 gal long and with these guys beingso tiny, I may wait and just pick up a 10 gallon for now. Opinions? Im use to aquatic newts and terrestrial salamanders but have never had to switch any from one to the other

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they've lost their gills they should be fine in a terrestrial set up. I keep my terrestrial Cynops juveniles on damp paper towel substrates with a big ball of terrestrial moss to hide in. It seems to work really well, but maybe not the prettiest to look at!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like they have completely lost their gills in which case it's safe to move them out. Bare in mind that you don't necessarily have to put them in a fully terrestrial enclosure. You could just as well house them in a semi-aquatic set-up with an inch of water, lots of plants and a few above water surfaces and hides.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1