Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When to remove axolotl?

Caesar

Reaction score
Hey, my tank recently got really really cloudy, and my cycle has crashed again. I honestly don't know what I could be doing wrong. I did feed him 2 bloodworm cubes one day (at the same time) rather than 2. I only feed once a day though and I remove the food within 5 minutes.

Anyways, my ammonia is at .25ppm and I can see my axolotl's gills are beginning to shrink again. I have read on sites saying to just change the water 20% each day to remove the ammonia, but I am wondering if I should just take him out of the tank for now? I have also heard this causes stress but my axolotl doesn't seem to mind and his gills always become longer again.

*Also, any tips on cycling the tank again? Is ALL of my bacteria gone? This happened before from a clogged filter intake but it fixed itself within a week.

What do you guys think? :confused: :eek: Help is much appreciated :))

Caesar

Reaction score
I actually made the decision now to remove him his gills seem pretty bad. Still, Let me know how I can fix this problem :(

Holly12

Reaction score
A 20% water change will only drop the ammonia by 20%. A 50% change drops it by half. You need to do what ever percentage change to get the ammonia to a safer number, like .5ppm

Holly12

Reaction score
What size tank is he in and what size filter? How often do you clean out poops and how much water do you change out on a weekly basis? What's his temp at?

When you were cycled, did you have a nitrate reading? (If nitrates were never present, it was never cycled.)

I leave food in Stellys tank for 8 hours or so before taking it away and it doesn't effect the ammonia.

Caesar

Reaction score
.5ppm would be more than it is now (.25ppm)?
Also, to answer your other questions:
He is in a 10gal tank with a quietflow (I believe?) filter.
I change 20-25% water weekly (I may have been doing a little more-33%)
I clean out the poop right when I see it and I make sure none are hiding in the tubes.
I also take out all of the blood worms after feeding.
Yes, my tank was fully cycled but now has crashed for the 2nd/3rd time. I always had a nitrate reading of about 40ppm before my pwc.

Holly12

Reaction score
Sorry, yes. I meant .05ppm.

That is so odd!!!! Did you clean all of the media and the filter at the same time or replace a bunch of media at the same time? That can cause a crash.

Caesar

Reaction score
Sorry, yes. I meant .05ppm.

That is so odd!!!! Did you clean all of the media and the filter at the same time or replace a bunch of media at the same time? That can cause a crash.

I suppose I COULD've but I don't think I did. I really scrubbed my filter clean of gunk which caused my first crash a few months ago but I have been careful to clean it now. I just lightly swoosh it in tank water (not often), then put it back.
The one thing I could've done is I took out all of the gooey stuff in the plastic parts of my filter. The filter I have is set up to have this extra plastic piece that grows bacteria I guess, I assume that is what caused it. Although, I thought the filter material in my actual filter would've held enough bacteria!!

Reaction score
I would guess that your tank was in fact cycled, but the bacteria grown during the cycle is not currently able to keep up with the amount of waste being produced by your axolotl.

*Also, any tips on cycling the tank again? Is ALL of my bacteria gone? This happened before from a clogged filter intake but it fixed itself within a week.

All of your bacteria is not gone, but you are going to have to re-cycle the tank. I would not strip the tank but would do a 50% water change and let the cycle take its course again. After your tank is not registering ammonia again, you could use household ammonia to get the tank used to the bio-load your axolotl will produce (Using Household Ammonia for Humane Cycling of a Tank). Even after the tank has been cycled, you may be needing to do a 50% water change weekly to keep the nitrates down.

In the mean time, I would take your axolotl out. IME, mine have handled being moved from bucket to bucket daily with nearly a 100% water change OK. Is this recommended??? Absolutely not! But in your situation, you may have to until your main tank finishes its cycle and is safe for your axolotl again. I would put some Prime in the bucket to detoxify ammonia as well as something to aerate the water (like an air stone with a low powered air pump). Only you will be able to tell if this is excessively stressing out your axolotl.

ETA: Is there substrate in your tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1