When too put new axolotl into bigger tank

LolaAndDani27

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello.

Yesterday I decided to purchase another axolotl as I wanted to add another one to my collection. Currently this new axolotl is in a separate but smaller tank and I was just wondering when to put it in with my older axolotls.

My older ones are approximately 27 cm in size (one is over a year old and the others are about 10 months) and the new axolotl is approximately 11 cm. So what size do you think I should put him in with the others.

I also have another question about feeding. I currently feed my axolotls meal worms. I was just wondering how much to feed them and how often.

Thanks!

Axolotls should really be within an inch or two of each other in size so there is less chance of accidents. At the moment your new Axolotl is over half the size of your others.

Meal worms aren't a very good staple food for Axolotls, they are high in fat and have an exoskeleton which is hard to digest, plus they have the ability to bite your Axolotl if you don't cut the heads off.

You could feed mealworms with the heads cut off as a treat once in awhile but Axolotl Pellets and earth worms are the most nutritionally complete diet.

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back