Where are the bright green orientalis?

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I remember a time when lovely bright orientalis were the norm rather than the exception. Looking at some of the set ups back then compared to now, it seems that lighting was brighter and more extensive water areas were used. Also the more golden 'Russian form' animals were not seen.

Everywhere I go now, I see very dark toads with perhaps only a hint of green. Are they cold? Are they collected from different populations?

I would love to know the thoughts of experienced keepers/breeders as I hope to put together a nice bright green group..

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
I have noticed that with my group they are the darkest in the mornings when the tank is at it's coldest. I believe the ones you are seeing in the pet stores aren't being kept at their optimum requirements therefore not showing their true colors. I will see if I have some photos showing the color range of the same animal.

keithp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Keith Petrosky
No kidding, and I thought it was just by me! Hardly see any bright green frogs anymore, most are brown with a few light green dots or no green at all. I dont think it's temp or age because by me the frogs are all the same size and in the same tank, so if it was temp or age they would all be the same color, brown. They have a light over them so the temp in the store by me is quite warm.

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since that first post I picked up a small group from a store that was closing down, they were fairly green despite being very cold. I carried on a winter rest period for them of temps down to 9c and even then they kept they're colour fairly well. Their new enclosure has plenty of bright green plants and a water depth of 6" with plenty of plants. They're not bright green yet but they're certainly not the almost black that I see in shop set ups..

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
I can't help but say I noticed this too.

T

tylototriton

I've noticed a lot more "Russian" forms recently in pet stores and the like. As for the greens, I think that much of that "brightness" has to do with temperature. It could also possibly have to do with locale or diet, but if my memory serves correct I seem to remember a lot of color variability in my individual Bombina.

Alex

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm now feeding their crickets a colour-enhancing fish flake and carrot, so I'll report back on any colour improvement they show.

One of my males showed the same green colour at 9c as at 22c, so although my initial thought, I wonder if it's to do with genes and diet. Perhaps the collecting locale is different - hence all the Russian forms about now..

Their enclosure is set up to encourage maximum 'greeness' (like that's even a word!)..

DSC02001.jpg

vincent

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi, b/orientalis collected from China and Korea the chinese are not as bright and have blotches of brown on them ,it could be age as all orientallis start of either brown or have brown patches when just metamorphosed The Korean ones are a rounder shape compared to the chinese. Hopes this answers youre question. Sadly they appear to be importing the Chinese ones:( To get red bellys feed on brine shrimp but wash salt off and it only lives a few hours in freshwater so put your orientalis in a tupperware to feed on the shrimps then return to viv when fed.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Hello Vincent.

as far as I can tell China has always been the source for B. orientalis?

Or are you suggesting 1990's or so imports were from Korea?

I checked out a tank of orientalis today. Of maybe 10 animals, 2 were bright green. And this was interesting enough to me that I stopped and considered buying them......

Ed

Reaction score
Country
United States
The toads can modify thier green coloration due to many items including stress. If the toads are stressed for any reason, then they may be brown and there can be significant differences in "hue" depending on how the toad is experiencing the stress.
Feeding the crickets carotenoid containing foods may not have a big effect on the green coloration as this color is the result of blue light being reflected up through yellow pigmentation. In Bombina species, this yellow color is mainly due to pterins (which is why cb B. orientalis that have not been properly color supplemented have a yellow belly) but can also contain some beta carotene. Any food supplement that contains astaxanthin will work to color up the ventral areas as this is the pigment that is in some populations of brine shrimp. For example you could feed the crickets powdered krill and get the same result.

Ed

chinlato

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My FBT are lightish brown, but the underbelly is bright red and black and same with its toes, looks like the tips have been dipped in bright red ink.

They croak and eat fine, and are very active although they dont show any green.

In the morning when its coldest they are a dark brown, and during the day when warmest they are light brown, i dont think mine will "green" up.

May i ask whats the difference between Russian and Chinese species?

Thanks.

clairet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Claire
hi
i have 3 FBT's, 1 is very bright green, i green-brown and the other definitely brown (also spends more time in the water than the other 2). I've only had them a week, and still learning about them but they seem ok. I didn't realise there were colour variations.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
It appears here in Nebraska, both color types are available; bright screaming green and poo brown...seems to be a 50/50 mix of them at all the pet stores.

Jumpshot724

Reaction score
Country
United States
I too have noticed this. There's only 1 pet store by me who sells only the "bright green" versions. Out of my little group, 4 are greenies and 3 are golden/brownies

vincent

Reaction score
Country
England
I too have noticed this. There's only 1 pet store by me who sells only the "bright green" versions. Out of my little group, 4 are greenies and 3 are golden/brownies

Just spoken to a good friend who says most of the duller ones come from China there are some green mottled ones for sale in England and they are advertised as Russian maybe they are like b/varigata wth several sub species and regional variations as b/varigata b/varigata scabra b/varigata kolombatovici and b/varigata pachypus. Try to keep similar ones together , this needs some research on the subject. Just sent my friend 6 b/v/varigata and he is over the moon mine have very green backs and he thinks originate from Hungary which he hasnt been able to get hold of ,B/ Orientalis is probably the same-with several sub species

happy toad

Reaction score
Country
United States
So basically it's going to be unlikely to find a green frog, and even if you do it might turn brown in captivity? I mean I'm not complaining I will still get a frog even if it is brown, just didn't want to get my hopes up about a green frog.

happy toad

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, so in recap the general consensus is that the frogs are being collected from a different locale now, and most likely do not posses the ability to display green coloration dorsally? I mean it is well documented that certain vitamins help color up frogs, but that only seems to relate to the red ventral surfaces. Also, it seems a bit unlikely that the pure brown frogs in my area (sadly) can, under the right conditions, return back to the green color. It seems that if a green frog was stressed it's color would just fade to a really deep green, not complete brown. But these are just armchair theories and I guess at least the frogs are still healthy, hardy, and active.

happy toad

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, sorry I keep going on about this, I just really like the grass green frogs and I am hoping to be able to keep them like that. Also, I have found a little bit of confusing information while reading and some clarification would be helpful. First I read that deep water sections make for happy, healthy, colorful frogs. Then later I read that upon lowering the water level, the frogs increased activity and frequented the water area more often. Does this prove that it doesn't really matter and any water level will lead to a happy frog, or is it one level is actually better? The same thing was repeated with food items with countered observations about the success of worms or crickets, and then again with need to supplement or not to supplement. Sorry for my ramblings & long string of posts.

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right!

Having had my happy crew for many moons now, I've found that amongst the green form that I have there is considerable variation. One of my males is normally bright green, regardless of temperature, feeding, activity etc but all individuals showed a gain in colour after being fed on some green moth caterpillars that I removed from my Brassica plants (hence knew to be non-toxic).

As has been mentioned above, it is probably not carotenes that help with dorsal colour but luteins and these are not always found in the same sources. Animals which are greeny-black are capable of showing the clearer green colour but the 'Russian form' which may well be a subspecies (good point Vincent) is of a more golden brown colour and probably lacks the required pigmentation to go green.

Regarding depth and B. orientalis, I have read that they prefer shallower water than their congeners such as B. bombina but I think the best solution is to give them the choice with well-designed haul out points and vegetation. It's easy to provide shallow areas in deep water and give the residents the choice and security of deeper water.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Johnny O. Farnen
Another thing to keep in mind is they do change color a bit dependent on temperature and stress levels. My green ones dull down quite a bit to almost olive drab until I turn the food loose in there, then they brighten right up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    NewbieAxie has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • opaltheaxolotl:
    I've seen a lot of people say different things about it in articles, and I don't know if feeding them frozen bloodworm cubes is good for my axolotl. Can someone help?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Bloodworms are not a great sole diet for small axolotl or bigger ones, though many people do use them exclusively. Your better off using eartworms which are considered a complete diet
    +1
    Unlike
  • opaltheaxolotl:
    okay, thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Shay876:
    How long after axolotl start moving in egg do they hatch? Also when should I start the brine shrimp hatchery going?
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I just noticed two of the ghost shrimp in my axie tank have horsehair worms. I removed them immediately. Can these worms affect the axolotl and what would be the treatment?
    +1
    Unlike
  • maddyb9903:
    Hello guys! I was wondering about nitrates in an axolotl tank. If there are 0 nitrates, will that harm the axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    0 nitrates doesn't sound dangerous, but it does sound very unlikely if the tank is fully cycled. Are you positive you're performing the test correctly? If you're using the API one, that is by far the trickiest test to do right. If the reading is correct, I would guess that either your tank is not cycled, you just did like a 100% water change, or that you have plants sucking up the nitrates, but even those shouldn't leave you with 0.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dragonfire:
    0 is fine unless the tank isn't cycled. Most tanks definitely won't run at 0, but I've had fast growing emergent plants drop nutrients so low that other plants like floaters were choked out and began dying so it isn't impossible. Some less sensitive kits may read 0 but they are just not precise enough to give an accurate low level reading too.
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    Hey Yall my Axolotl has this like tail thats like a dent on the top, I was told it was meant stress but idk whats stressing out my Axolotl. The plants recently gotten moved since they were falling apart but like she's been eating/pooping fine and the temp and water tests are good for the Axolotl. So I don't really know whats causing her to be stress. Does anyone know anything?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Post a picture of the dent (in the "Sick Axolotl" thread) please
    +2
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    How do I do that? Im new to this website
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    nvm I found ot
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    *it
    +1
    Unlike
  • GabbyGums:
    did it
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    SalamanderNick has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Skeemloc:
    Hey are any still available?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! I’m having an issue with my filter and was hoping for some suggestions. I use an aqua clear 20-50 gallon filter for my 20 gallon axolotl tank. It has worked great since I got it back in December! Recently though, I’ve noticed the flow of the water has turned into more of an intense trickle than a constant flow (if that makes any sense?) I thought it may be something was stuck in the filter or maybe the sponge needed to be swished around in tank water, so I did both of these and it still trickles. It’s a very strong trickle, so the tank is still getting good filtration. It is just so loud and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there’s a way to fix it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Hmm, I don't know much about those filters, and I'm having trouble picturing what you mean, but could it be simply that your filtration media is arranged in a different way? Or maybe you're losing water content to evaporation? Just throwing out ideas. 😁 Again, I don't really know much about that kind of filter
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Hello all. My male axolotl's cloaca hasn't been looking quite right for 13 days. When I first noticed it, I immediately checked the temperature of his tank and it was around 70-71. Way too warm for him, so I took him out and have had him tubbed in the basement ever since. The temperature of his water is now 64-65. The issue seems to be that one 'half' of his cloaca is flared out and has white fuzzy stuff on it. It almost looks like a bunch of little white spikes of hair. Only one half is this way. Sometimes said half is flared out almost all the way, and other times it's almost completely back inside of him. I had him in tea baths overnight for probably five days, and then a solid 24 hours of mild tea for around three days. I don't remember exactly, my apologies.
    +1
    Unlike
  • CrazyForLotls:
    Since it was looking better (not flared out so I couldn't tell if it was still fuzzy) I put him back in plain, dechlorinated water. He gets daily water changes, always dechlorinated. The tea I used was plain black tea. The brand was Lipton and it came in a large box, purchased from the grocery store. Does anybody know what this could be? I found a couple old threads with a similar issue, but nobody ever replied to them. I can post a thread if you'd like some pictures, but they aren't very good. My camera was having trouble focusing and my axolotl kept moving.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hey guys! Just made a post asking for help with an injured eastern newt. I could really use some help. if you would read it, I would really appreciate 🙏😌
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nexbane:
    @Audrey22, A salt bath *might* be a good idea, but I have never heard of them used for anything but axolotls. I would think as simplistic of a setup as possible would be best. Are you a member of the newts & salamanders group on facebook? You might have better luck getting more information quickly there! lots of the same members as here.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe and absorb through their skin like sallies? Thats what I'm afraid of. Because I don't want them to absorb salt if that will hurt them. Anyways, I'll look at Facebook too
    +2
    Unlike
    Audrey22: Ok ill on Facebook too. Thanks. I've heard tea or salt and also neosporin. Do axolots breathe... +2