Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where did you get your axies?

JazAxolotl

Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering where you got your axolotl(s) from and would be grateful for any response.
I’ve been looking at a few breeders websites (specifically “Ivy’s Axolotls” and “Fantaxies”) and was wondering whether these would be advisable sources from which to adopt an axolotl? I’ve read that it isn’t recommended to purchase axies online but these two websites seem to have a very good reputation and reviews. I’ve also been looking at a few axolotl breeder Facebook groups near my area, would this be a better option? If I were to purchase an axolotl online, where would be a good place to look?
There’s also an axolotl-specific store about an hour’s drive away from where I live that I’ve also looked into. The reviews are also great and I think I may get my axolotl from there if I don’t get any better suggestions. I am just trying to look at all the options, I won’t be getting one for a while though.
Anyways where did you get your axolotl? What do you think about these breeder’s I’ve mentioned? Grateful for any response. Have a good day/night :]

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering where you got your axolotl(s) from and would be grateful for any response.
I’ve been looking at a few breeders websites (specifically “Ivy’s Axolotls” and “Fantaxies”) and was wondering whether these would be advisable sources from which to adopt an axolotl? I’ve read that it isn’t recommended to purchase axies online but these two websites seem to have a very good reputation and reviews. I’ve also been looking at a few axolotl breeder Facebook groups near my area, would this be a better option? If I were to purchase an axolotl online, where would be a good place to look?
There’s also an axolotl-specific store about an hour’s drive away from where I live that I’ve also looked into. The reviews are also great and I think I may get my axolotl from there if I don’t get any better suggestions. I am just trying to look at all the options, I won’t be getting one for a while though.
Anyways where did you get your axolotl? What do you think about these breeder’s I’ve mentioned? Grateful for any response. Have a good day/night :]
hi! me again :)
i personally bought my lovely axolotl mudkip from breeders based in georgia (if i remember correctly) and i highly recommend them. their website is “buyanaxolotl.com” if you’re interested. she was shipped to me in excellent condition and although the bag was a bit dirty, everything was fully intact (both her body and the box) shipping seems scary, but isn’t quite the monster people say it is.
i’ve never bought anything from either of the stores you’ve mentioned, but haven’t heard anything bad about them- i’ll let someon who knows a bit more answer that question :)
i *wish* i had an axolotl specific store in my area! i’d definitely check out their options as well, if you don’t mind the drive
again, welcome! so excited to meet you :)
- ren

JazAxolotl

Reaction score
hi! me again :)
i personally bought my lovely axolotl mudkip from breeders based in georgia (if i remember correctly) and i highly recommend them. their website is “buyanaxolotl.com” if you’re interested. she was shipped to me in excellent condition and although the bag was a bit dirty, everything was fully intact (both her body and the box) shipping seems scary, but isn’t quite the monster people say it is.
i’ve never bought anything from either of the stores you’ve mentioned, but haven’t heard anything bad about them- i’ll let someon who knows a bit more answer that question :)
i *wish* i had an axolotl specific store in my area! i’d definitely check out their options as well, if you don’t mind the drive
again, welcome! so excited to meet you :)
- ren
Thanks for the recommendation! I hadn’t heard of them before, but I’ll definitely be checking them out. Mudkip is absolutely beautiful, by the way. I’ve seen pictures of her on some different threads. Thank you for sharing and have a good day/night :]

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation! I hadn’t heard of them before, but I’ll definitely be checking them out. Mudkip is absolutely beautiful, by the way. I’ve seen pictures of her on some different threads. Thank you for sharing and have a good day/night :]
yeah ofc! i’m all about promoting smaller businesses//breeders
mudkip is truly my lovely girl, i’m glad you think she’s as pretty as i do!!!

Rschubie89

Reaction score
So there is a lot of great breeders northern axolotl is great and I would go through facebook and look for breeders,

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at a few breeders websites (specifically “Ivy’s Axolotls” and “Fantaxies”) and was wondering whether these would be advisable sources from which to adopt an axolotl?
I recently found some information about Ivy's Axolotls online from people who bought from them and it wasn't great (shipping boxes poorly packed and marked, overcharging for particular morphs and sending a less expensive/more common one, deleting any negative reviews, etc.). Granted, this is very much a hearsay opinion, but I personally wouldn't go with that one. I've also looked at the Fantaxies website and they've always seemed overpriced to me, but to each their own. I got my first axolotl through a friend who's father owns a pet store and knew someone trying to get rid of their babies and then my next two, I got from another Caudata user who had raised a few hatchlings from an "oopsie" breeding.

WaterLily05

Reaction score
I have heard some nit so great things about Ivy’s... That and there are cheaper places out there, if you know where to look! I have bought all 3 of mine from GillyWater Aquatics, everything about them was incredible. Great prices, great service, and healthy, gorgeous axolotls with free shipping. Their prices range from $55 to $125 on average. The Mottled Lotl, Northern Axolotls, and Rainy Day Aquatics are known to be very reputable and reliable!

fire_newt

Reaction score
I am raising a batch of babies right now if you’re interested. All lucies. Some will have freckles, some are GFP. The big ones are about 1-1.5 inches right now, so maybe ready for new homes in the next 1-2 months?

Attachments

• CEE152CA-5D0A-4CBA-ADC4-6BD458F102B3.jpeg
    CEE152CA-5D0A-4CBA-ADC4-6BD458F102B3.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 172

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Try to find them local. Maybe craigs list. Shipping is hard on them and expensive to do it right.. I quit shipping axolotls a couple years ago. The first time I saw any for sale at a show I bought all that were left at the end of the show and all of the guys equipment. All of a sudden he was out of the axolotl business and I was in it.

RJF9020

Reaction score
We had a tragic loss of a rescued axi and ended up buying a juvi from West Florida Axolotl. Shipped next day, well packaged in multiple bags and styrofoam (ups live reptile shipping option). They emailed after the delivery to ensure it arrived safe and sound. I’d recommend if you can’t find local.

fire_newt

Reaction score
I’m interested! Please message me!
Hi! Sorry about the late response, I’ve been away from the site. I rescued the axies from a local girl who wasn’t able to give them the right care. I wasn’t planning on breeding, and honestly I thought I had 2 females. Anywhooo long story short, I have babies! I have about 50 ready to find homes

Attachments

• AA93536A-F5EA-4092-BF21-A44F6BC0D4EF.jpeg
    AA93536A-F5EA-4092-BF21-A44F6BC0D4EF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!