Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where do you get your plants

desertiguana

Reaction score
I always see these beautiful planted tanks and I was just wondering where you all get your plants.

Logan

Reaction score
Not that I am an expert but I usually just find plants via browsing local aquarium stores. Also research houseplants that grow well hydroponically and you can find most of them at any plant store. I always consider buying more rare plants online but usually talk myself out of it. You can usually create great aquascapes by what you can pull together, just take your time planning arrangement and making it.
Logan

rebel

Reaction score
Probaly the easiest way to get the lants wold be by going to your local Aquatics centre. For me, my Local garden centres ahve them. You normally can find my diffrent types there. If not, some people purchase them online although i would personally stick to aquatic centres.

Rebel:violent:

Jehuty

Reaction score
In the nurseries there is not always the plants I need, I've recently purchased several plants on ebay.

king

Reaction score
My local aquarium store has pretty poorly educated staff. I usually go in as a freelance/volunteer mystery shopper with the information I need--and quiz the staff. If they pass I buy. If they fail I notify their boss. Im tired of misinformation spreading from specialty stores.

Sometimes the best place to find my plants are at the plant nursery. They have a minimal aquatic section but Devils Ivy and Creeping Jenny are my 2 primary plants of choice. Ive been using the same 2 plants for 2-3 years--clipping..re-rooting.. and transferring periodically. So theyre pretty well used to their environment and treatment by now. Those 2 are virtually impossible to destroy IME and often thrive best when my tiger pulls them out of the substrate actually--simply floating around in the water. The best part is when they show new growth.... little light green leaves pushing through lol! Its almost as exciting as an egg hatching.

Axoll

Reaction score
My local aquarium store has pretty poorly educated staff. I usually go in as a freelance/volunteer mystery shopper with the information I need--and quiz the staff. If they pass I buy. If they fail I notify their boss. Im tired of misinformation spreading from specialty stores.

i agree with king, some especially rescue shops only know some of the requirements of some amphibians so what ever you see in their tanks dont always copy, but depending on what plant you want and what purpose you want it for i would go online for it as they normally take more time to arrive but are generally more healthy, i have just started putting plants in and the first plant i put in to my baby axies tanks was frogbit they love it! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!