Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Where you get your tanks

Axe

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I'm new to axolotls and caudata and I'm just wondering how much does a typical axolotl tank cost and where you get your tanks from.
I'm only planning to get one.
I gues this post is mainly for people in the uk as I'll probably either get it online or some store around the south of England
Also where do you get your worms or axolotl pellets.
Thanks

auntiejude

Reaction score
Depends how much you want to spend. I have picked up tanks for free, I have paid a lot for a large one. 2nd hand on ebay or preloved is a good option for under £100 - you'll want a 3ft tank ideally (80-100L).
I get worms from Yorkshire Worms.

Axe

Reaction score
Ok thanks
Sorry for the late reply
Do you think a 30x15x13 inch tank would be big enough for one axolotl or should I go 36x15x13 inches for an extra £30?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1